Mar 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
When C.J. McCollum went down with a broken foot in a January non-conference game against VCU, it appeared one of the major storylines in mid-major basketball had gone down with it. But that’s not the way it turned out. Bucknell won the regular season championship outright, but Lehigh continued to play strong basketball, with Lafayette pushing toward the top, as well. How will the conference tournament turn out? Check out a preview below:
(CLICK HERE to browse through all of our conference tournament previews)
Where: Site of higher seed
When: March 6, March 9, March 13
Final: March 13, 7:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Double-double machine Mike Muscala is at the center of a Bucknell team that went 12-2 in the Patriot League regular season and beat Purdue in the non-conference. As Muscala anchors the frontcourt, Bryson Johnson and Cameron Ayers make up one of the more formidable backcourt duos in mid-major basketball. Here’s a fact that speaks to how dominant Bucknell has been: Of the two league games the Bison have lost this season, Bucknell has lost by a combined four points. Four points.
And if they lose? Lehigh
Even with start guard C.J. McCollum “unlikely to play” in the tournament as Lehigh makes a push for an automatic bid, this Mountain Hawks team is efficient and effective. Yes, they have two losses to Lafayette, but without McCollum Lehigh still managed to beat conference leader Bucknell on the road on Jan. 23. The frontcourt duo of Holden Greiner and Gabe Knutson will continue to power the Mountain Hawks in McCollum’s absence.
The Leopards beat Lehigh twice this season, once by 21 points on the road and another by single digits at home. They don’t defend particularly well, but they can shoot the three-point ball, which helps them win games. Seth Hinrichs (highlighted below) is the centerpiece of the offensive attack with over 14.5 points per game.
- Mike Muscala, Bucknell: With McCollum sidelined for all of conference play, Muscala has gotten more of the Patrio League headlines and deservedly so. He is averaging a double-double of 19.1 points and 11.0 rebounds per game for the favorite to win the tournament title.
- Seth Hinrichs, Lafayette: Hinrichs averages 14.5 points and 5.0 rebounds, all while shooting 45 percent from three-point range. The Leopards will need his touch from long range, considering they do not defend particularly well.
- Ella Ellis, Army: Another quality Patriot League three-point shooter, Ellis hit the 30-point plateau in three of the final four regular season games, games in which Army was 3-1. He averages 18.0 points per game on the year and shoots 41 percent from deep.
CBT Prediction: With an automatic bid on the line and the prospect of CJ McCollum returning for the NCAA tournament on the table, Lehigh beats Bucknell in the championship game to punch its ticket.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Byron Samuels already had a tough rebuilding job in front of him as a result of Florida A&M being hit with a postseason ban for low APR numbers.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)