Mar 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
When C.J. McCollum went down with a broken foot in a January non-conference game against VCU, it appeared one of the major storylines in mid-major basketball had gone down with it. But that’s not the way it turned out. Bucknell won the regular season championship outright, but Lehigh continued to play strong basketball, with Lafayette pushing toward the top, as well. How will the conference tournament turn out? Check out a preview below:
(CLICK HERE to browse through all of our conference tournament previews)
Where: Site of higher seed
When: March 6, March 9, March 13
Final: March 13, 7:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Double-double machine Mike Muscala is at the center of a Bucknell team that went 12-2 in the Patriot League regular season and beat Purdue in the non-conference. As Muscala anchors the frontcourt, Bryson Johnson and Cameron Ayers make up one of the more formidable backcourt duos in mid-major basketball. Here’s a fact that speaks to how dominant Bucknell has been: Of the two league games the Bison have lost this season, Bucknell has lost by a combined four points. Four points.
And if they lose? Lehigh
Even with start guard C.J. McCollum “unlikely to play” in the tournament as Lehigh makes a push for an automatic bid, this Mountain Hawks team is efficient and effective. Yes, they have two losses to Lafayette, but without McCollum Lehigh still managed to beat conference leader Bucknell on the road on Jan. 23. The frontcourt duo of Holden Greiner and Gabe Knutson will continue to power the Mountain Hawks in McCollum’s absence.
The Leopards beat Lehigh twice this season, once by 21 points on the road and another by single digits at home. They don’t defend particularly well, but they can shoot the three-point ball, which helps them win games. Seth Hinrichs (highlighted below) is the centerpiece of the offensive attack with over 14.5 points per game.
- Mike Muscala, Bucknell: With McCollum sidelined for all of conference play, Muscala has gotten more of the Patrio League headlines and deservedly so. He is averaging a double-double of 19.1 points and 11.0 rebounds per game for the favorite to win the tournament title.
- Seth Hinrichs, Lafayette: Hinrichs averages 14.5 points and 5.0 rebounds, all while shooting 45 percent from three-point range. The Leopards will need his touch from long range, considering they do not defend particularly well.
- Ella Ellis, Army: Another quality Patriot League three-point shooter, Ellis hit the 30-point plateau in three of the final four regular season games, games in which Army was 3-1. He averages 18.0 points per game on the year and shoots 41 percent from deep.
CBT Prediction: With an automatic bid on the line and the prospect of CJ McCollum returning for the NCAA tournament on the table, Lehigh beats Bucknell in the championship game to punch its ticket.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Loyd is converting from point guard to wide receiver.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)