Mar 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
When C.J. McCollum went down with a broken foot in a January non-conference game against VCU, it appeared one of the major storylines in mid-major basketball had gone down with it. But that’s not the way it turned out. Bucknell won the regular season championship outright, but Lehigh continued to play strong basketball, with Lafayette pushing toward the top, as well. How will the conference tournament turn out? Check out a preview below:
(CLICK HERE to browse through all of our conference tournament previews)
Where: Site of higher seed
When: March 6, March 9, March 13
Final: March 13, 7:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Double-double machine Mike Muscala is at the center of a Bucknell team that went 12-2 in the Patriot League regular season and beat Purdue in the non-conference. As Muscala anchors the frontcourt, Bryson Johnson and Cameron Ayers make up one of the more formidable backcourt duos in mid-major basketball. Here’s a fact that speaks to how dominant Bucknell has been: Of the two league games the Bison have lost this season, Bucknell has lost by a combined four points. Four points.
And if they lose? Lehigh
Even with start guard C.J. McCollum “unlikely to play” in the tournament as Lehigh makes a push for an automatic bid, this Mountain Hawks team is efficient and effective. Yes, they have two losses to Lafayette, but without McCollum Lehigh still managed to beat conference leader Bucknell on the road on Jan. 23. The frontcourt duo of Holden Greiner and Gabe Knutson will continue to power the Mountain Hawks in McCollum’s absence.
The Leopards beat Lehigh twice this season, once by 21 points on the road and another by single digits at home. They don’t defend particularly well, but they can shoot the three-point ball, which helps them win games. Seth Hinrichs (highlighted below) is the centerpiece of the offensive attack with over 14.5 points per game.
- Mike Muscala, Bucknell: With McCollum sidelined for all of conference play, Muscala has gotten more of the Patrio League headlines and deservedly so. He is averaging a double-double of 19.1 points and 11.0 rebounds per game for the favorite to win the tournament title.
- Seth Hinrichs, Lafayette: Hinrichs averages 14.5 points and 5.0 rebounds, all while shooting 45 percent from three-point range. The Leopards will need his touch from long range, considering they do not defend particularly well.
- Ella Ellis, Army: Another quality Patriot League three-point shooter, Ellis hit the 30-point plateau in three of the final four regular season games, games in which Army was 3-1. He averages 18.0 points per game on the year and shoots 41 percent from deep.
CBT Prediction: With an automatic bid on the line and the prospect of CJ McCollum returning for the NCAA tournament on the table, Lehigh beats Bucknell in the championship game to punch its ticket.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
UCLA reopened Pauley Pavilion in 2012 after $136 million worth of renovations.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Cal told The Sporting News that he couldn’t leave behind the guys that decided to return to school. Do you buy it?
Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A former UK coach gave his listeners some new details about Willie Cauley-Stein’s injury.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Malik Monk is a dream come true for the mixtape makers.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
And now they’re considering selling it at football games.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be tested by the time Pac-12 play rolls around.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier was arrested back in April.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Another surprise cut was made at the point guard spot
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)