Mar 6, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
With Belmont moving to the Ohio Valley Conference for the start of the 2012-13 season, the Atlantic Sun race has changed. The Bruins have moved on, but the competition remains at the top of the Atlantic Sun. Both Mercer and Florida Gulf Coast, who finished first and second in the conference, have non-conference wins over high-major BCS opponents this season. Mercer beat both Florida State and Alabama, while Florida Gulf Coast got an early win over now-No. 6 Miami.
As the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in this tournament, the two are the most likely to end up in the conference championship game on March 9, but there are a few teams that can’t be overlooked. Take a look below:
(CLICK HERE to browse through all of our conference tournament previews)
Where: Hawkins Arena (Macon, Georgia)
When: March 6-9
Final: March 9, 12 p.m. (ESPN2)
Mercer has non-conference wins over Florida State and Alabama, as was mentioned above, but was also one of three teams all year to lose to 3-27 Kennesaw State. Defense is the centerpiece for the Bears, who rank in the Top 15 nationally in opponent points per game, giving up an average of just 57.4. Added to that, 0pponents shoot just 39 percent from the floor against them.
And if they lose? Florida Gulf Coast
FGCU got a huge non-conference win over a Reggie Johnson-less Miami earlier this season and, contrasted with Mercer’s defensive-oriented approach, the Eagles like to put points on the board. Conference Player of the Year Sherwood Brown, Bernard Thompson, and Chase Fieler all average in double figures and the team is in the Top 50 nationally in shooting percentage.
Sleeper: USC Upstate
Led by one of the conference’s best player, Torrey Craig, Upstate has been stuck in the crowded middle of the pack behind FGCU and Mercer. They rebound the ball well, which will be important in tournament games, and share the ball, ranked 23rd in the country in assists.
- Torrey Craig (USC Upstate): The reigning conference player of the year has been back at it again this season. The junior averaged 17.1 points and 7.1 rebounds per game, perhaps on track for another POY season. Upstate finished 9-9 in the conference slate, but will be looking for the automatic bid.
- Sherwood Brown (Florida Gulf Coast): Brown leads the high-scoring FGCU attack with 15.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. The senior leader and three-point shooter will be key for the Eagles in the Atlantic Sun tournament.
- Adam Pegg (Stetson): The 6-9 senior is averaging 15.6 points and 6.2 rebounds per game for a Stetson team that is sandwiched between the top-tier FGCU and Mercer teams and the crowded pack of 9-9 teams below it. Pegg had a big 23-point, 12-rebound game against Lipscomb earlier in the year.
- Stephen Hurt (Lipscomb): Hurt will likely be named the Atlantic Sun Newcomer of the Year after averaging 11.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. His team faces a tough first-round matchup with Mercer in this tournament, but the 6-10 freshman will be one to watch.
CBT Prediction: Mercer and Florida Gulf Coast are locked in another battle in the Atlantic Sun championship game, but Mercer’s defense prevails to snag the automatic bid.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
Indiana’s nine newcomers received their candy-striped warmup pants from former IU players Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Pat Birt was a Horizon League All-Freshman Team selection at UIC last season.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Keifer Sykes is one of the best dunkers in America, and he was at it again Saturday afternoon.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The intro video to Tom Izzo’s memorable entrance at “Michigan State Madness” Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
While head coach Gib Arnold released a statement saying that the school had yet to receive a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the administration is considering the option of self-imposing sanctions.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Byron Samuels already had a tough rebuilding job in front of him as a result of Florida A&M being hit with a postseason ban for low APR numbers.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)