Mar 6, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
The Big East Conference will take no further action against the players involved in Tuesday night’s altercation between St. John’s and Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., the league announced Wednesday.
With under two minutes to play in Notre Dame’s 66-40 victory, St. John’s sophomore Sir’Dominic Pointer and Notre Dame freshman Cameron Biedscheid began fighting during a dead ball situation. Teammates from both sides rushed in to break up the scuffle, including St. John’s sophomore Amir Garrett, who left the Red Storm bench.
Both Pointer and Biedscheid were ejected and given mandatory one-game suspensions for their roles in the altercation. Garrett was ejected for leaving the bench, despite his intentions to dissipate the situation, but will not face any further disciplinary action.
St. John’s was once considered a bubble team for the NCAA tournament, but has lost six of its past eight games and appears to be headed for a berth in the NIT. Notre Dame improved to 23-7 overall and 11-6 in the Big East after its win Tuesday night.
Notre Dame will be without Biedscheid when it takes on No. 8 Louisville on the road on Saturday. The top four seeds in the final Big East regular season standings receive a double-bye in the conference tournament. The Irish are currently tied for fourth place with Pittsburgh and also with Syracuse if the Orange hold off DePaul Wednesday night.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)