Mar 6, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
The Big East Conference will take no further action against the players involved in Tuesday night’s altercation between St. John’s and Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., the league announced Wednesday.
With under two minutes to play in Notre Dame’s 66-40 victory, St. John’s sophomore Sir’Dominic Pointer and Notre Dame freshman Cameron Biedscheid began fighting during a dead ball situation. Teammates from both sides rushed in to break up the scuffle, including St. John’s sophomore Amir Garrett, who left the Red Storm bench.
Both Pointer and Biedscheid were ejected and given mandatory one-game suspensions for their roles in the altercation. Garrett was ejected for leaving the bench, despite his intentions to dissipate the situation, but will not face any further disciplinary action.
St. John’s was once considered a bubble team for the NCAA tournament, but has lost six of its past eight games and appears to be headed for a berth in the NIT. Notre Dame improved to 23-7 overall and 11-6 in the Big East after its win Tuesday night.
Notre Dame will be without Biedscheid when it takes on No. 8 Louisville on the road on Saturday. The top four seeds in the final Big East regular season standings receive a double-bye in the conference tournament. The Irish are currently tied for fourth place with Pittsburgh and also with Syracuse if the Orange hold off DePaul Wednesday night.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)