Mar 6, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
The Big East Conference will take no further action against the players involved in Tuesday night’s altercation between St. John’s and Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., the league announced Wednesday.
With under two minutes to play in Notre Dame’s 66-40 victory, St. John’s sophomore Sir’Dominic Pointer and Notre Dame freshman Cameron Biedscheid began fighting during a dead ball situation. Teammates from both sides rushed in to break up the scuffle, including St. John’s sophomore Amir Garrett, who left the Red Storm bench.
Both Pointer and Biedscheid were ejected and given mandatory one-game suspensions for their roles in the altercation. Garrett was ejected for leaving the bench, despite his intentions to dissipate the situation, but will not face any further disciplinary action.
St. John’s was once considered a bubble team for the NCAA tournament, but has lost six of its past eight games and appears to be headed for a berth in the NIT. Notre Dame improved to 23-7 overall and 11-6 in the Big East after its win Tuesday night.
Notre Dame will be without Biedscheid when it takes on No. 8 Louisville on the road on Saturday. The top four seeds in the final Big East regular season standings receive a double-bye in the conference tournament. The Irish are currently tied for fourth place with Pittsburgh and also with Syracuse if the Orange hold off DePaul Wednesday night.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)