Mar 6, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After an ugly season that saw the Knights go 7-24 and just 2-16 in NEC, Fairleigh Dickinson has made the decision to fire head coach Greg Vetrone.
The news was first reported by CBSSports.com.
Vetrone was an assistant with the program in 2008-2009 and took over in an interim role in 2009-2010, leading the team to an 11-21 record. But in the past three seasons, Vetrone managed all of 15 wins.
“I feel the time has come to look for a new direction for the men’s basketball program,” FDU athletic director David Langford said in a statement released by the university. “I would like to thank Coach Vetrone for his time and service to the University, the athletic department and the men’s basketball program.”
It wasn’t just the losing, however. Brendan Prunty of the Star-Ledger explains:
Fairleigh Dickinson had 100-plus points scored on it three times this year and lost by 25 or more points nine different times throughout the season. There were also a number of personnel problems plaguing the team during the course of the year, beginning with the dismissal of senior point guard Lonnie Hayes before the first game of the season at Xavier.
Four other players were also suspended for that game.
Also during the final road trip of the season to Robert Morris on Feb. 23, the Knights’ leading scorer — Kinu Rochford — quit the team in the middle of a timeout, walking off the floor.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty miserable season to endure.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights