Mar 6, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After an ugly season that saw the Knights go 7-24 and just 2-16 in NEC, Fairleigh Dickinson has made the decision to fire head coach Greg Vetrone.
The news was first reported by CBSSports.com.
Vetrone was an assistant with the program in 2008-2009 and took over in an interim role in 2009-2010, leading the team to an 11-21 record. But in the past three seasons, Vetrone managed all of 15 wins.
“I feel the time has come to look for a new direction for the men’s basketball program,” FDU athletic director David Langford said in a statement released by the university. “I would like to thank Coach Vetrone for his time and service to the University, the athletic department and the men’s basketball program.”
It wasn’t just the losing, however. Brendan Prunty of the Star-Ledger explains:
Fairleigh Dickinson had 100-plus points scored on it three times this year and lost by 25 or more points nine different times throughout the season. There were also a number of personnel problems plaguing the team during the course of the year, beginning with the dismissal of senior point guard Lonnie Hayes before the first game of the season at Xavier.
Four other players were also suspended for that game.
Also during the final road trip of the season to Robert Morris on Feb. 23, the Knights’ leading scorer — Kinu Rochford — quit the team in the middle of a timeout, walking off the floor.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty miserable season to endure.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)