Mar 6, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After an ugly season that saw the Knights go 7-24 and just 2-16 in NEC, Fairleigh Dickinson has made the decision to fire head coach Greg Vetrone.
The news was first reported by CBSSports.com.
Vetrone was an assistant with the program in 2008-2009 and took over in an interim role in 2009-2010, leading the team to an 11-21 record. But in the past three seasons, Vetrone managed all of 15 wins.
“I feel the time has come to look for a new direction for the men’s basketball program,” FDU athletic director David Langford said in a statement released by the university. “I would like to thank Coach Vetrone for his time and service to the University, the athletic department and the men’s basketball program.”
It wasn’t just the losing, however. Brendan Prunty of the Star-Ledger explains:
Fairleigh Dickinson had 100-plus points scored on it three times this year and lost by 25 or more points nine different times throughout the season. There were also a number of personnel problems plaguing the team during the course of the year, beginning with the dismissal of senior point guard Lonnie Hayes before the first game of the season at Xavier.
Four other players were also suspended for that game.
Also during the final road trip of the season to Robert Morris on Feb. 23, the Knights’ leading scorer — Kinu Rochford — quit the team in the middle of a timeout, walking off the floor.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty miserable season to endure.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)