Mar 6, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After an ugly season that saw the Knights go 7-24 and just 2-16 in NEC, Fairleigh Dickinson has made the decision to fire head coach Greg Vetrone.
The news was first reported by CBSSports.com.
Vetrone was an assistant with the program in 2008-2009 and took over in an interim role in 2009-2010, leading the team to an 11-21 record. But in the past three seasons, Vetrone managed all of 15 wins.
“I feel the time has come to look for a new direction for the men’s basketball program,” FDU athletic director David Langford said in a statement released by the university. “I would like to thank Coach Vetrone for his time and service to the University, the athletic department and the men’s basketball program.”
It wasn’t just the losing, however. Brendan Prunty of the Star-Ledger explains:
Fairleigh Dickinson had 100-plus points scored on it three times this year and lost by 25 or more points nine different times throughout the season. There were also a number of personnel problems plaguing the team during the course of the year, beginning with the dismissal of senior point guard Lonnie Hayes before the first game of the season at Xavier.
Four other players were also suspended for that game.
Also during the final road trip of the season to Robert Morris on Feb. 23, the Knights’ leading scorer — Kinu Rochford — quit the team in the middle of a timeout, walking off the floor.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty miserable season to endure.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)