Mar 6, 2013, 8:20 AM EDT
Bad news coming out of Bethlehem, PA, as it appears that CJ McCollum’s return during the Patriot League tournament is unlikely.
“It’s unlikely,” Brett Reed, the Mountain Hawks head coach, told CBSSports.com. “We are approaching this as if he won’t play in the tourney.”
McCollum was averaging 23.9 points and 5.0 rebounds when he broke a bone in his foot on January 5th against VCU. McCollum is a potential first round pick in this year’s NBA Draft, which would make rushing him back from this injury risky for his potential career-earning.
Lehigh plays Colgate in the opening round of the tournament on Wednesday, with the winner advancing to player the winner of the No. 2-No. 7 on Saturday.
McCollum’s injury was one of the more disappointing happenings this season. Lehigh, who knocked off Duke in the first round of last year’s NCAA tournament, competed valiantly without McCollum in the lineup, but they couldn’t keep pace with Bucknell. The battle for Patriot League superiority between McCollum’s Lehigh team and Mike Muscala’s Bucknell team was one of the more intriguing storylines of mid-major hoops this season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)