Mar 6, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Despite clawing back from seven points down in the final 4:40 of regulation to force overtime, No. 16 Saint Louis could not keep pace with Xavier in extra period and fell, 77-66, at the Cintas Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, Wednesday night.
The loss snaps and 11-game Saint Louis winning streak and keeps the Billikens from claiming at least a share of the Atlantic 10 regular season title with one game remaining. They are now tied atop the conference with Virginia Commonwealth at 12-4, but could fall into a three-way tie depending upon the winner of their final game of the regular season Saturday against La Salle.
If La Salle wins, it would move to 12-5, tied with Saint Louis. That would leave the door open for VCU to win the title outright with a win over Temple and finish at 13-4, or we could have a three-way tie atop the conference with a La Salle win and a VCU loss.
It’s all only par for the course in the Atlantic 10, a conference that already has five teams with 22+ wins on the season and if UMass wins its final two games, would have six teams reach the 20-win plateau. That all sets the stage for the A-10 tournament that will take place next week at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
In that tournament, any one of those 20-win teams could win it all and grab the automatic bid, not to mention the havoc (no relation to VCU) that we could see from upset-minded teams like Richmond, Charlotte, St. Joseph’s, and Xavier.
Get ready, Brooklyn.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 1
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)