Mar 6, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Despite clawing back from seven points down in the final 4:40 of regulation to force overtime, No. 16 Saint Louis could not keep pace with Xavier in extra period and fell, 77-66, at the Cintas Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, Wednesday night.
The loss snaps and 11-game Saint Louis winning streak and keeps the Billikens from claiming at least a share of the Atlantic 10 regular season title with one game remaining. They are now tied atop the conference with Virginia Commonwealth at 12-4, but could fall into a three-way tie depending upon the winner of their final game of the regular season Saturday against La Salle.
If La Salle wins, it would move to 12-5, tied with Saint Louis. That would leave the door open for VCU to win the title outright with a win over Temple and finish at 13-4, or we could have a three-way tie atop the conference with a La Salle win and a VCU loss.
It’s all only par for the course in the Atlantic 10, a conference that already has five teams with 22+ wins on the season and if UMass wins its final two games, would have six teams reach the 20-win plateau. That all sets the stage for the A-10 tournament that will take place next week at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
In that tournament, any one of those 20-win teams could win it all and grab the automatic bid, not to mention the havoc (no relation to VCU) that we could see from upset-minded teams like Richmond, Charlotte, St. Joseph’s, and Xavier.
Get ready, Brooklyn.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)