Mar 6, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Game of the Night: No. 5 Georgetown at Villanova (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
The biggest game of the night pits two old school Big East programs and future Catholic 7 programs that could determine quite a bit come NCAA tournament time.
Here’s what’s on the line:
- For Villanova, they have a chance to lock up an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. As of today, the Wildcats should be able to feel pretty good about where they stand thanks to wins over Syracuse, Louisville and Marquette. But they enter this game on a two-game losing streak, and with the Big East tournament looming next week, a loss in the first round could mean that Jay Wright’s club enters Selection Sunday on a four game losing streak. Still deserving? Maybe not.
- For Georgetown, they have a chance to lock up a share of the Big East regular season title. with Syracuse visiting DC on Saturday afternoon looking to get revenge for a beat down last month and change the course of their season, a loss would put the Hoyas in danger of missing out on a chance to win a Big East title and to get the No. 1 seed in the Big East tournament. With a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament a legitimate possibility, that’s a lot riding on these last couple of games.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: No. 16 St. Louis at Xavier (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
Read this story from Dana O’Neil on this year’s St. Louis team.
You done yet?
The Billikens have become one of the feel-good stories of the year, and they just so happen to be the best team in the Atlantic 10 and a group with a real shot at making a long run in the tournament. Which is why Xavier wants this win so badly. There is still a chance that, if the Musketeers can win out and pick off a couple more good teams in the A-10 tournament, they can sneak into one of the last at-large spots. The Cintas Center is always tough to play in.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 13 Oklahoma State at Iowa State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Iowa State is one of the most entertaining and dangerous teams in the country, and they just so happen to be awesome when playing at home. They desperately need this win if they are going to make the NCAA tournament as an at-large. I think they get it.
2) There are four top 25 teams on the road against teams that have a real shot at pulling an upset. Three are listed above. The fourth? No. 7 Michigan at Purdue. The Boilermakers are coming off of a win at the Kohl Center over Wisconsin. (7:00 p.m ET, Big Ten Network)
3) No. 21 VCU and Richmond actually have a pretty healthy rivalry as the two biggest programs in the city of Richmond. Throw in the fact that the Spiders beat the Rams earlier this season, and this should be an intense matchup. (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
4) Maryland’s NCAA tournament hopes are all but gone, but if they can beat a North Carolina team that is peaking at the right time tonight, they may still have a chance. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
5) Tennessee is on their last breath as well, and while beating Auburn isn’t going to do much for their profile, losing to the Tigers would be a monumental disaster. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 5 Georgetown at Villanova (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Georgia Tech at No. 6 Miami (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 7 Michigan at Purdue (7:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Vanderbilt at No. 11 Florida (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 12 New Mexico at Nevada (10:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- No. 13 Oklahoma State at Iowa State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 16 St. Louis at Xavier (9:00 p.m. ET)
- DePaul at No. 17 Syracuse (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Richmond at No. 21 VCU (8:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
- No. 23 UCLA at Washington State (9:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
- North Carolina at Maryland (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Temple at Fordham (7:00 p.m. ET)
- George Washington at La Salle (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Tennessee at Auburn (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- UConn at South Florida (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Wake Forest at NC State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Minnesota at Nebraska (9:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- West Virginia at Oklahoma (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Colorado State at Wyoming (10:00 p.m. ET, ROOT)
- Stanford at Cal (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Air Force at San Diego State (11:30 p.m. ET)
- USC at Washington (11:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Marietta (Georgia) Wheeler HS, led by Jaylen Brown, became the first public school to win the event since 2004.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Gonzaga, BYU among the teams off to good starts in the WCC.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Who have been college basketballs breakout stars?
Dec 25, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
Just four games on the schedule Christmas Day, with the Colonials picking up some hardware.
Dec 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The third-ranked Wildcats suffered their first loss of the season Tuesday. Where do they need to improve in the new year?
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Iowa State once again looks like a strong competitor in the Big 12 this season.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The ten teams, players and leagues that have left us wanting more.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
What do the Zags need to change this season?
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
What will the Tar Heels need to improve upon in order to compete for the ACC title?
Dec 24, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The preseason pick to win Big East Freshman of the Year is averaging 11.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game for the 9-2 Pirates.
Dec 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
What does Duke need to do to remain a title contender this season?
Dec 24, 2014, 3:07 PM EST
He’s made a habit out of cracking jokes at his team’s expense this season.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
The most surprising players, teams and leagues this season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:16 AM EST
The Huskies have played a tough schedule thus far, and that will benefit them in conference play.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
One top-10 team went down on Tuesday night.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
This is a huge win for a young UNLV team.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Wichita State plays George Washington on Christmas night in the Diamond Head Classic championship game.
Dec 23, 2014, 9:38 PM EST
This win might make people start to forget about Stanford’s loss to DePaul.
Dec 23, 2014, 8:56 PM EST
Dwayne Polee II collapsed during Monday night’s game against UC Riverside.
Dec 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Charles Barkley gives a strong reason for why he would openly break an NCAA rule.
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 2
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 4
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Duke Blue Devils 1
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)
- One suitor for Duke transfer hopes to land him despite not having an available scholarship (3)