Mar 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
As the wheels of conference realignment slowly continue to turn, it appears more likely that Notre Dame will end up playing their basketball in the ACC during the 2013-2014 season, according to a report from Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com.
The ACC will allow the Irish to join next season, which means that the only thing standing between Notre Dame and becoming the 15th team in the ACC a year earlier than expected is the exit fee. Notre Dame has a unique deal with the Big East in that they can leave the conference without paying an exit fee as long as they provide 27 months notice. That would draw the process out through 2015, however, which means that Notre Dame is going to have to play to get an early release.
The Catholic 7 schools are expected to announce their plans for withdrawal from the conference this week. Louisville and Rutgers cannot leave the Big East until 2014, as the ACC and the Big Ten, respectively, won’t be ready to add them next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)