Mar 6, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Suspended Wyoming senior Luke Martinez will not take part in his team’s Senior Day festivities Wednesday after pleading not guilty to a felony count of aggravated assault and battery in a Wyoming district court earlier in the day. The charge stems from Martinez’s alleged involvement a New Year’s Eve bar fight in Laramie, Wyo.
Martinez, who was averaging 14.5 points and 3.0 rebounds per game at the time of his January suspension, reportedly admitted to police that he kicked a man in the head during the fight and with such force, one witness reportedly said, “that it made [the witness] sick.”
But his attorney, Tom Fleener, is painting a different picture of the incident.
“Luke is a victim here,” Fleener said, as reported by the Casper Star-Tribune. “He’s lost his college basketball career. He wasn’t the aggressor that night. This was a bar fight in a college town. No weapons were used. While the injuries were certainly unfortunate, Luke is the one who is truly suffering today.
“We do have the right to correct the record,” Fleener continued. “The record has certainly indicated that Luke was the aggressor in this bar fight. We are clear the evidence, when it does come out, will show he was retreating and was not the aggressor at all.”
Wyoming is 4-11 in the Mountain West after finishing the non-conference slate with a perfect 14-0 overall record. Wednesday’s regular season finale against Colorado State is the team’s last home game of the season.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)