Mar 7, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Here’s the good news for Kentucky: even though they have now lost two games in a row that they probably couldn’t afford to lose, the Wildcats still aren’t eliminated from NCAA tournament contention.
In fact, after losing at Arkansas on Saturday and then losing at Georgia 72-62 on Thursday night, Kentucky still may be in the exact same spot that they were last week: beat Florida, don’t suffer a bad loss in the SEC tournament, and lace up those dancing shoes.
That’s how week the bubble’s cutline looks right now.
Because everyone that’s there with Kentucky keeps losing, too.
Virginia lost at Florida State tonight while UMass lost at home to Butler. Maryland lost to North Carolina Wednesday night. Tennessee lost to Georgia on Saturday. Ole Miss lost to Mississippi State after losing to South Carolina. Arizona State collapsed. Iowa never made their run. Akron lost, and then lost their starting point guard.
And so here we are, with the Wildcats, who just suffered their first sub-100 loss of the season on Thursday (something that cannot be said about most of the teams on the bubble), needing to beat the SEC’s best team on Saturday to keep their hopes alive.
This is where it gets tricky: the last place you want to be heading into Championship Week is anywhere near the cutline. Not when teams like Northern Iowa are streaking as they head into Arch Madness against the likes of Creighton and Wichita State. Not when USC is peaking as they head into Pac-12 tournament play. Not when Southern Miss and BYU have the talent to make a run through Conference USA and the WCC, respectively.
Bid thieves abound during Championship Week, and the last place Kentucky wants to be is where they’re at risk of seeing their at-large bid get swiped.
Unfortunately, after tonight, they may have to resign themselves to that fate.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)