Mar 7, 2013, 12:21 AM EST
WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE WINNERS
Villanova: The Wildcats beat Georgetown and now own victories over the top four teams in the Big East. While they still haven’t beaten anyone (except UConn) away from home and have losses to Columbia, Seton Hall and two to Providence, given what the rest of the bubble looks like, Jay Wright should feel pretty comfortable right now.
Iowa State: The Cyclones still have just OK computer numbers and a pair of bad losses, but they now have wins over three top 30 RPI teams. That’s monstrous compared to some of the other bubble teams. They aren’t safe yet, but they should feel pretty good about their standing.
Temple: The Owls didn’t want to leave any doubt tonight, so they went out and blew the doors off of Fordham. Fran Dunphy’s club would be smart to beat VCU at home on Sunday.
La Salle: The Explorers are in the same boat at Temple. They are probably sitting a better position right now because they don’t have the awful losses that Temple does, but La Salle’s profile is more or less supported by that one week where they beat Butler and VCU. They head to St. Louis this weekend. A win would be very, very helpful.
Tennessee: The Vols did what they needed to do on Wednesday: not lose to Auburn. That sets them up for a game on Saturday that could determine their NCAA tournament future. Tennessee will host Missouri with a chance to put themselves into a really good position heading into the SEC tournament. A loss wouldn’t be disastrous, but it would put Tennessee into a spot where they will need two wins — and maybe more, depending on how weak their matchups are — in Atlanta to go dancing.
San Diego State: The Aztecs probably are safe right now, and they probably would have been even if they lost to Air Force tonight. But their best road win is at USC, they have just four top 50 wins and seven top 100 wins, and their last game is at Boise State. They’ll likely have a rematch with the Broncos in the first round of the MWC tournament. Lose both and … they’re probably still in, but it’s not a lock yet.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)