Mar 7, 2013, 1:21 AM EDT
WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE LOSERS
Maryland: I mean, I guess the chance is still there for the Terps, if they can make a run to the ACC title game. And beat Duke along the way. And maybe UNC, too. And pick up a win at Virginia on Saturday. That’s a lot to ask from a team that did nothing in non-conference play and has lost four of their last seven games. For all intents and purposes, Maryland’s season is done.
Minnesota: This is crazy, I know, but the Golden Gophers might end up playing their way onto the bubble. That’s what happens when you lose to Nebraska just two games removed from losing eight out of 11 games. The Gopher’s have a really good RPI and five really good wins. They also now have three bad losses. What if they lose at Purdue on Saturday and lose in the first round of the Big Ten tournament? Well, they’re probably still going to be safe, but I’m not sure I’d want to test that theory.
Cal: Like Minnesota, Cal is probably still in pretty good shape despite getting drubbed at home by Stanford on Wednesday night. They have five top 50 wins (which could change if Oregon loses at Colorado or at Utah, as they are currently 50th in the RPI), eight top 100 wins and no sub-100 losses. They have no more regular season games, just the Pac-12 tournament.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 10
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (10)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)