Mar 7, 2013, 1:21 AM EST
WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE LOSERS
Maryland: I mean, I guess the chance is still there for the Terps, if they can make a run to the ACC title game. And beat Duke along the way. And maybe UNC, too. And pick up a win at Virginia on Saturday. That’s a lot to ask from a team that did nothing in non-conference play and has lost four of their last seven games. For all intents and purposes, Maryland’s season is done.
Minnesota: This is crazy, I know, but the Golden Gophers might end up playing their way onto the bubble. That’s what happens when you lose to Nebraska just two games removed from losing eight out of 11 games. The Gopher’s have a really good RPI and five really good wins. They also now have three bad losses. What if they lose at Purdue on Saturday and lose in the first round of the Big Ten tournament? Well, they’re probably still going to be safe, but I’m not sure I’d want to test that theory.
Cal: Like Minnesota, Cal is probably still in pretty good shape despite getting drubbed at home by Stanford on Wednesday night. They have five top 50 wins (which could change if Oregon loses at Colorado or at Utah, as they are currently 50th in the RPI), eight top 100 wins and no sub-100 losses. They have no more regular season games, just the Pac-12 tournament.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)