Mar 7, 2013, 1:21 AM EST
WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE LOSERS
Maryland: I mean, I guess the chance is still there for the Terps, if they can make a run to the ACC title game. And beat Duke along the way. And maybe UNC, too. And pick up a win at Virginia on Saturday. That’s a lot to ask from a team that did nothing in non-conference play and has lost four of their last seven games. For all intents and purposes, Maryland’s season is done.
Minnesota: This is crazy, I know, but the Golden Gophers might end up playing their way onto the bubble. That’s what happens when you lose to Nebraska just two games removed from losing eight out of 11 games. The Gopher’s have a really good RPI and five really good wins. They also now have three bad losses. What if they lose at Purdue on Saturday and lose in the first round of the Big Ten tournament? Well, they’re probably still going to be safe, but I’m not sure I’d want to test that theory.
Cal: Like Minnesota, Cal is probably still in pretty good shape despite getting drubbed at home by Stanford on Wednesday night. They have five top 50 wins (which could change if Oregon loses at Colorado or at Utah, as they are currently 50th in the RPI), eight top 100 wins and no sub-100 losses. They have no more regular season games, just the Pac-12 tournament.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 0
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)