Mar 7, 2013, 1:21 AM EDT
WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE LOSERS
Maryland: I mean, I guess the chance is still there for the Terps, if they can make a run to the ACC title game. And beat Duke along the way. And maybe UNC, too. And pick up a win at Virginia on Saturday. That’s a lot to ask from a team that did nothing in non-conference play and has lost four of their last seven games. For all intents and purposes, Maryland’s season is done.
Minnesota: This is crazy, I know, but the Golden Gophers might end up playing their way onto the bubble. That’s what happens when you lose to Nebraska just two games removed from losing eight out of 11 games. The Gopher’s have a really good RPI and five really good wins. They also now have three bad losses. What if they lose at Purdue on Saturday and lose in the first round of the Big Ten tournament? Well, they’re probably still going to be safe, but I’m not sure I’d want to test that theory.
Cal: Like Minnesota, Cal is probably still in pretty good shape despite getting drubbed at home by Stanford on Wednesday night. They have five top 50 wins (which could change if Oregon loses at Colorado or at Utah, as they are currently 50th in the RPI), eight top 100 wins and no sub-100 losses. They have no more regular season games, just the Pac-12 tournament.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 40
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (40)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)