Mar 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
If Mississippi State didn’t have bad luck in the first year of the Rick Ray era they’d would have none.
Since Ray took over in Starkville four players have suffered season-ending knee injuries, with junior guard Jalen Steele becoming the fourth after tearing the ACL and meniscus in his right knee in Wednesday’s loss to South Carolina.
Steele suffered the injury during the second half, and for the season he averaged 10.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.
Due to their lack of both depth and experience Mississippi State has struggled mightily this season, tallying just eight wins (8-21 overall, 3-14 SEC) heading into their season finale on Saturday against Auburn.
According to Brandon Marcello of the Clarion-Ledger, Mississippi State will have just six scholarship players available for Saturday’s game.
In addition to Steele, Wendell Lewis, Jacoby Davis and Andre Applewhite all suffered season-ending knee injuries this season. This is Steele’s second major knee injury during his time at Mississippi State, as he tore the ACL in his left knee back in 2011.
Mississippi State lost every key contributor from last season’s 21-win team, with the departure of one of the SEC’s best freshmen in Rodney Hood (transferred to Duke) being the toughest blow to take when considering the future of the program. With that in mind, and the injuries that sapped what little depth the Bulldogs had to begin with, Mississippi State’s struggles haven’t come as a surprise to anyone.
The Bulldogs have three commitments in the 2013 class, led by shooting guard Travis Daniels, and the recovery of players such as Steele and Lewis will be just as important to the future of the Mississippi State program.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Kentucky made the decision not to allow one of their stars to head to Spain for two weeks while they’re supposed to be in class.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Think Jayhawk fans remember the name Ali Farokhmanesh?
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
This took a while to plan.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
The Tigers have zero minutes of experience in their back court.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Indiana now has six commitments in the Class of 2014.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Kampe over came his fear of heights but still got hit with ice water.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)