Mar 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
If Mississippi State didn’t have bad luck in the first year of the Rick Ray era they’d would have none.
Since Ray took over in Starkville four players have suffered season-ending knee injuries, with junior guard Jalen Steele becoming the fourth after tearing the ACL and meniscus in his right knee in Wednesday’s loss to South Carolina.
Steele suffered the injury during the second half, and for the season he averaged 10.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.
Due to their lack of both depth and experience Mississippi State has struggled mightily this season, tallying just eight wins (8-21 overall, 3-14 SEC) heading into their season finale on Saturday against Auburn.
According to Brandon Marcello of the Clarion-Ledger, Mississippi State will have just six scholarship players available for Saturday’s game.
In addition to Steele, Wendell Lewis, Jacoby Davis and Andre Applewhite all suffered season-ending knee injuries this season. This is Steele’s second major knee injury during his time at Mississippi State, as he tore the ACL in his left knee back in 2011.
Mississippi State lost every key contributor from last season’s 21-win team, with the departure of one of the SEC’s best freshmen in Rodney Hood (transferred to Duke) being the toughest blow to take when considering the future of the program. With that in mind, and the injuries that sapped what little depth the Bulldogs had to begin with, Mississippi State’s struggles haven’t come as a surprise to anyone.
The Bulldogs have three commitments in the 2013 class, led by shooting guard Travis Daniels, and the recovery of players such as Steele and Lewis will be just as important to the future of the Mississippi State program.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that Sherman is no fan of the NCAA.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
May 27, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Miles is 47-49 in three years with Nebraska.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)