Mar 7, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
According to Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com, on Thursday, the Catholic 7 will be officially announcing their intention to depart from the Big East this summer.
In the report, McMurphy says that the Catholic 7 — Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St. John’s, Providence, DePaul and Seton Hall — will be taking the Big East name with them as well as their conference tournament locale (Madison Square Garden). They are expected to add Xavier and Butler, who has somehow managed to go from being a third-place Horizon League team that played in the CBI in 2011 to a Big East team in 2013, as well as Creighton for the 2013-2014 season. St. Louis and Dayton are expected to join the following season.
All of this has been reported in the past week. The new information is that it will become official today.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 30
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (30)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)