Mar 7, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
According to Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com, on Thursday, the Catholic 7 will be officially announcing their intention to depart from the Big East this summer.
In the report, McMurphy says that the Catholic 7 — Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St. John’s, Providence, DePaul and Seton Hall — will be taking the Big East name with them as well as their conference tournament locale (Madison Square Garden). They are expected to add Xavier and Butler, who has somehow managed to go from being a third-place Horizon League team that played in the CBI in 2011 to a Big East team in 2013, as well as Creighton for the 2013-2014 season. St. Louis and Dayton are expected to join the following season.
All of this has been reported in the past week. The new information is that it will become official today.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)