Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Last night, a local community college student and a blogger for a Syracuse sports site (I won’t be linking to his “report”) reported that Jim Boeheim would be asked to retire at the end of the season by Athletic Director Daryl Gross.
Most dismissed this as hogwash because, as Sean Keeley, Orange-blogger extraordinaire, put it, “if you have to ask me if a site you’ve never heard of has credibility, you’ve answered your own question.”
Well, that’s until the official Syracuse University twitter handle sent out a link to the article, which got picked up by Deadspin:
(Screen-grab via The Dagger)
And cue the firestorm!
This isn’t the first time that official Syracuse twitter accounts have had issues. Whoever runs that feed has committed multiple recruiting violations, including tweeting about DaJuan Coleman committing to Syracuse when it was still illegal for Syracuse to officially comment on Coleman. It’s a problem.
The good news, for Syracuse fans, is that the rumor appears to be just that: a rumor. They released multiple statements saying there was no truth to it, and the @SyracuseU account even sent out a correction later in the night, which read: “Earlier tonight a tweet was sent out. Nothing in the tweet was true or accurate and we apologize for the confusion.”
What a mess.
One final note: if you’re an aspiring writer or blogger, and you think that the attention this guy is getting seems awesome, go read this. Please.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)