Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Last night, a local community college student and a blogger for a Syracuse sports site (I won’t be linking to his “report”) reported that Jim Boeheim would be asked to retire at the end of the season by Athletic Director Daryl Gross.
Most dismissed this as hogwash because, as Sean Keeley, Orange-blogger extraordinaire, put it, “if you have to ask me if a site you’ve never heard of has credibility, you’ve answered your own question.”
Well, that’s until the official Syracuse University twitter handle sent out a link to the article, which got picked up by Deadspin:
(Screen-grab via The Dagger)
And cue the firestorm!
This isn’t the first time that official Syracuse twitter accounts have had issues. Whoever runs that feed has committed multiple recruiting violations, including tweeting about DaJuan Coleman committing to Syracuse when it was still illegal for Syracuse to officially comment on Coleman. It’s a problem.
The good news, for Syracuse fans, is that the rumor appears to be just that: a rumor. They released multiple statements saying there was no truth to it, and the @SyracuseU account even sent out a correction later in the night, which read: “Earlier tonight a tweet was sent out. Nothing in the tweet was true or accurate and we apologize for the confusion.”
What a mess.
One final note: if you’re an aspiring writer or blogger, and you think that the attention this guy is getting seems awesome, go read this. Please.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)