Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Last night, a local community college student and a blogger for a Syracuse sports site (I won’t be linking to his “report”) reported that Jim Boeheim would be asked to retire at the end of the season by Athletic Director Daryl Gross.
Most dismissed this as hogwash because, as Sean Keeley, Orange-blogger extraordinaire, put it, “if you have to ask me if a site you’ve never heard of has credibility, you’ve answered your own question.”
Well, that’s until the official Syracuse University twitter handle sent out a link to the article, which got picked up by Deadspin:
(Screen-grab via The Dagger)
And cue the firestorm!
This isn’t the first time that official Syracuse twitter accounts have had issues. Whoever runs that feed has committed multiple recruiting violations, including tweeting about DaJuan Coleman committing to Syracuse when it was still illegal for Syracuse to officially comment on Coleman. It’s a problem.
The good news, for Syracuse fans, is that the rumor appears to be just that: a rumor. They released multiple statements saying there was no truth to it, and the @SyracuseU account even sent out a correction later in the night, which read: “Earlier tonight a tweet was sent out. Nothing in the tweet was true or accurate and we apologize for the confusion.”
What a mess.
One final note: if you’re an aspiring writer or blogger, and you think that the attention this guy is getting seems awesome, go read this. Please.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)