Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Last night, a local community college student and a blogger for a Syracuse sports site (I won’t be linking to his “report”) reported that Jim Boeheim would be asked to retire at the end of the season by Athletic Director Daryl Gross.
Most dismissed this as hogwash because, as Sean Keeley, Orange-blogger extraordinaire, put it, “if you have to ask me if a site you’ve never heard of has credibility, you’ve answered your own question.”
Well, that’s until the official Syracuse University twitter handle sent out a link to the article, which got picked up by Deadspin:
(Screen-grab via The Dagger)
And cue the firestorm!
This isn’t the first time that official Syracuse twitter accounts have had issues. Whoever runs that feed has committed multiple recruiting violations, including tweeting about DaJuan Coleman committing to Syracuse when it was still illegal for Syracuse to officially comment on Coleman. It’s a problem.
The good news, for Syracuse fans, is that the rumor appears to be just that: a rumor. They released multiple statements saying there was no truth to it, and the @SyracuseU account even sent out a correction later in the night, which read: “Earlier tonight a tweet was sent out. Nothing in the tweet was true or accurate and we apologize for the confusion.”
What a mess.
One final note: if you’re an aspiring writer or blogger, and you think that the attention this guy is getting seems awesome, go read this. Please.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)