Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Last night, a local community college student and a blogger for a Syracuse sports site (I won’t be linking to his “report”) reported that Jim Boeheim would be asked to retire at the end of the season by Athletic Director Daryl Gross.
Most dismissed this as hogwash because, as Sean Keeley, Orange-blogger extraordinaire, put it, “if you have to ask me if a site you’ve never heard of has credibility, you’ve answered your own question.”
Well, that’s until the official Syracuse University twitter handle sent out a link to the article, which got picked up by Deadspin:
(Screen-grab via The Dagger)
And cue the firestorm!
This isn’t the first time that official Syracuse twitter accounts have had issues. Whoever runs that feed has committed multiple recruiting violations, including tweeting about DaJuan Coleman committing to Syracuse when it was still illegal for Syracuse to officially comment on Coleman. It’s a problem.
The good news, for Syracuse fans, is that the rumor appears to be just that: a rumor. They released multiple statements saying there was no truth to it, and the @SyracuseU account even sent out a correction later in the night, which read: “Earlier tonight a tweet was sent out. Nothing in the tweet was true or accurate and we apologize for the confusion.”
What a mess.
One final note: if you’re an aspiring writer or blogger, and you think that the attention this guy is getting seems awesome, go read this. Please.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 0
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 4
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 6
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)