Mar 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Stony Brook has separated itself from the rest of the pack in the America East, but can they power through the conference tournament and grab the automatic bid? Check out the preview below:
(CLICK HERE to browse through all of our conference tournament previews)
Where: Quarterfinals and Semifinals at SEFCU Arena, University at Albany | Championship game at higher seed
When: March 8-10, 16
Final: March 16, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN2)
Favorite: Stony Brook
Led by freshman Jameel Warney and do-it-all forward Tommy Brenton, the Seawolves are looking to finally break through and earn a spot in the NCAA tournament. Stony Brook has won the last three regular season titles, but has lost in the America East tournament and missed out on the NCAAs.
And if they lose? Vermont
Boston University would have been another team to keep an eye on, but the Terriers are barred from the tournament because they will be moving to the Patriot League for the start of the 2013-14 season. For that reason, Vermont and its defense effort are likely to win if Stony Brook falls.
Playing at home in the quartfinal and semifinal rounds could prove to be helpful for the Great Danes. They will be leaning heavily in the senior backcourt combo of Mike Black and Jacob Iati, who combine to average over 27 points per game.
- Tommy Brenton, Stony Brook: Brenton fills up the box score for the Seawolves with 8.9 points, 8.7 rebounds, and 4.9 assists per game. He is one of the versatile players at the mid-major level.
- Mark Nwakamma, Hartford: The native Texan is the conference’s leading scorer during conference play and the player at the center of Hartford’s offensive attack. He is averaging 14.7 points and 5.5 rebounds per game
- Justin Edwards, Maine: The sophomore is averaging 16.4 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 3.4 assists per game. He is a volume shooter, but can score in bunches when he gets hot.
CBT Prediction: Warney and Brenton will be too much and the Seawolves will march through the tournament to earn an NCAA berth.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Loyd is converting from point guard to wide receiver.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Bulls announced the fifth departure this spring.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins is the most searched athlete in two states, according to a recent study.
Apr 22, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Ron Hunter is loading up on talented transfers
Apr 22, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Auburn will accept the punishment that has been given to Pearl by the NCAA.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting for a decision from four players.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Darius is the younger brother of former Illini guard Brandon Paul.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
The ACC schedule is what happens when leagues get too big.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is the best big man in a loaded class of bigs, according to Rivals.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
K.J. McDaniels might win an NBA dunk contest one day.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Cauley-Stein will be out for a couple of months.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson is moving on to Louisville.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Tennessee found its man on Monday night as the Vols hired Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
LSU freshman forward Jordan Mickey is still deciding whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Duke landed an impact transfer on Monday with Rice big man Sean Obi.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)