Mar 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
This is your final regular season Morning Mix of the 2012-2013 season. We’ll be back next week, but man, what a regular season it has been. Here’s to hoping Saturday lives up to the hype.
Let’s hit the links.
Thursday’s Top games:
3:30 p.m. – Indiana State vs. Evansville
7 p.m. – Tennessee State vs. Belmont
8 p.m. – Stetson vs. Florida Gulf Coast
9 p.m. – Eastern Kentucky vs. Murray State
9:30 p.m. – Illinois State vs. Northern Iowa
Read of the Day:
Last night, Eagle Landing HS (GA) won the Class AAAA State title last night. MTSU recruit Eric Wortham Jr. finished with 12 points and four assists. Just a year ago, he was on the brink of death. This is his story. Read it. (Henry Daily Herald)
Believe it or not, Kentucky’s tournament hopes aren’t dead yet: Kentucky lost to Georgia last night, but if they can beat Florida and not lose early in the SEC tournament, the Wildcats could still end up dancing.
Butler doesn’t look for real, not yet at least: The Bulldogs got the bounce back win they desperately needed, but didn’t look like world-beaters doing so. Butler’s three biggest wins of the season have all been won on buzzer-beaters. While entertaining, it’s not exactly how you want to make you living.
Virginia’s NCAA hopes in jeopardy as Michael Snaer hits another game-winner (VIDEO): Michael Snaer hit his sixth game-winner of his career and sent Virginia back to the wrong side of the bubble in the process.
Louisiana Tech is now autobid or bust after losing to New Mexico State: The Bulldogs entered the night hanging onto their bubble hopes by the slimmest of margins, but is now the latest in a long line of bubble teams that suffered painful losses over the last week, as New Mexico State trounced them by 18 points in Las Cruces on Thursday night.
No Roberson, no problem as Colorado blows out No. 19 Oregon: Andre Roberson sat out because of mononucleosis, but that didn’t slow down the Buffs against No. 19 Oregon. Colorado still has work to do, but a win over a ranked team certainly helps.
Wisconsin plays role of slump-buster for Michigan State’s Keith Appling: The Spartans had lost three in a row, and desperately needed a good performance against a quality opponent. That’s exactly what they got from Keith Appling and company.
– Akron suspended staring point guard Alvin Abreu after he was arrested on drug trafficking charges on Thursday. (Akron Beacon Journal)
– UConn center Tyler Olander fractured his foot on Wednesday during the Huskies loss to South Florida and will miss the final game of the season. (Hartford Courant)
– Mississippi State junior guard Jalen Steele suffered a torn ACL on Wednesday and will miss the remainder of the season. (Clarion Ledger)
– The game between San Jose State and UT-San Antonio was cancelled because of a roof leak. (ESPN)
Observations & Insight:
– Dan Wetzel on the death of the Big East Tournament. He thinks the new Big East/Catholic-7 Tournament could be just as good. (Yahoo Sports)
– A nice, quick read on Jay Bilas, the social media maven who follows nobody. (USA Today)
– Jeff Bzdelik is not very liked in Winston-Salem. Angry Wake Forest fans have now resorted to newspaper advertisements in order to voice their opinion about the Demon Deacon’s head coach. (The Dagger)
– This one of the better and easier-to-read breakdowns of NCAA tournament math I’ve seen in quite some time. (Waiting for Next Year)
– Wichita State head coach Greg Marshall was awarded MVC Coach of the Year for the effort he has put in to excelling in a year when not much was expected from the Shockers. (Peoria Journal Star)
– Rutgers and Seton Hall will play each other next year, despite being in different conferences. (New Jersey Hoops Haven)
– Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski has cut his trademark locks and is inching towards a historic block party. (AZcentral.com)
– Villanova has the best “bench mob” in the country, and I don’t think the race is all that close. (VU Hoops)
Video of the Day:
Take 15 minutes to reflect on the Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry. Great stuff. (Washington Post)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)