Mar 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
This is your final regular season Morning Mix of the 2012-2013 season. We’ll be back next week, but man, what a regular season it has been. Here’s to hoping Saturday lives up to the hype.
Let’s hit the links.
Thursday’s Top games:
3:30 p.m. – Indiana State vs. Evansville
7 p.m. – Tennessee State vs. Belmont
8 p.m. – Stetson vs. Florida Gulf Coast
9 p.m. – Eastern Kentucky vs. Murray State
9:30 p.m. – Illinois State vs. Northern Iowa
Read of the Day:
Last night, Eagle Landing HS (GA) won the Class AAAA State title last night. MTSU recruit Eric Wortham Jr. finished with 12 points and four assists. Just a year ago, he was on the brink of death. This is his story. Read it. (Henry Daily Herald)
Believe it or not, Kentucky’s tournament hopes aren’t dead yet: Kentucky lost to Georgia last night, but if they can beat Florida and not lose early in the SEC tournament, the Wildcats could still end up dancing.
Butler doesn’t look for real, not yet at least: The Bulldogs got the bounce back win they desperately needed, but didn’t look like world-beaters doing so. Butler’s three biggest wins of the season have all been won on buzzer-beaters. While entertaining, it’s not exactly how you want to make you living.
Virginia’s NCAA hopes in jeopardy as Michael Snaer hits another game-winner (VIDEO): Michael Snaer hit his sixth game-winner of his career and sent Virginia back to the wrong side of the bubble in the process.
Louisiana Tech is now autobid or bust after losing to New Mexico State: The Bulldogs entered the night hanging onto their bubble hopes by the slimmest of margins, but is now the latest in a long line of bubble teams that suffered painful losses over the last week, as New Mexico State trounced them by 18 points in Las Cruces on Thursday night.
No Roberson, no problem as Colorado blows out No. 19 Oregon: Andre Roberson sat out because of mononucleosis, but that didn’t slow down the Buffs against No. 19 Oregon. Colorado still has work to do, but a win over a ranked team certainly helps.
Wisconsin plays role of slump-buster for Michigan State’s Keith Appling: The Spartans had lost three in a row, and desperately needed a good performance against a quality opponent. That’s exactly what they got from Keith Appling and company.
– Akron suspended staring point guard Alvin Abreu after he was arrested on drug trafficking charges on Thursday. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- UConn center Tyler Olander fractured his foot on Wednesday during the Huskies loss to South Florida and will miss the final game of the season. (Hartford Courant)
- Mississippi State junior guard Jalen Steele suffered a torn ACL on Wednesday and will miss the remainder of the season. (Clarion Ledger)
- The game between San Jose State and UT-San Antonio was cancelled because of a roof leak. (ESPN)
Observations & Insight:
– Dan Wetzel on the death of the Big East Tournament. He thinks the new Big East/Catholic-7 Tournament could be just as good. (Yahoo Sports)
- A nice, quick read on Jay Bilas, the social media maven who follows nobody. (USA Today)
- Jeff Bzdelik is not very liked in Winston-Salem. Angry Wake Forest fans have now resorted to newspaper advertisements in order to voice their opinion about the Demon Deacon’s head coach. (The Dagger)
- This one of the better and easier-to-read breakdowns of NCAA tournament math I’ve seen in quite some time. (Waiting for Next Year)
- Wichita State head coach Greg Marshall was awarded MVC Coach of the Year for the effort he has put in to excelling in a year when not much was expected from the Shockers. (Peoria Journal Star)
- Rutgers and Seton Hall will play each other next year, despite being in different conferences. (New Jersey Hoops Haven)
- Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski has cut his trademark locks and is inching towards a historic block party. (AZcentral.com)
- Villanova has the best “bench mob” in the country, and I don’t think the race is all that close. (VU Hoops)
Video of the Day:
Take 15 minutes to reflect on the Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry. Great stuff. (Washington Post)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
The NCAA is hoping to have two lawsuits dismissed, with the plaintiffs in those suits arguing otherwise. And three U.S. senators voiced their displeasure with the lack of progress being made by the NCAA.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)