Mar 8, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
Akron won 19 straight up until Mar. 2. The Zips dropped two of their last three games to close out the regular season.
Friday night, Akron fell 68-64 to Kent State, the first game since Akron point guard Alex Abreu was suspended after being arrested on drug charges Thursday. Abreu was arrested on charges of marijuana trafficking.
The junior point guard was averaging 10.3 points and six assists per game for the MAC leading Zips. Without the 6-foot floor general running the show, Akron had to rely on freshman Carmelo Betancourt who finished with five points, four assists, and a pair of steals.
Abreu was shooting just under 40 percent from three, though, without him on the floor, the Zips shot 22 percent (6-for-27) from behind the arc.
Earlier in the day, Abreu plead not guilty to those charges at Akron Municipal Court, according to the Associated Press. Abreu posted $5,000 bail and was released from Summit County Jail. He gave no comments to reporters waiting for him outside.
Akron is now 24-6 (14-2 MAC) and if the loss to Kent State is any indication of how important Abreu is to the Zips, it appears their special season might be slipping away on the verge of the NCAA tournament.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)