Mar 8, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
Akron won 19 straight up until Mar. 2. The Zips dropped two of their last three games to close out the regular season.
Friday night, Akron fell 68-64 to Kent State, the first game since Akron point guard Alex Abreu was suspended after being arrested on drug charges Thursday. Abreu was arrested on charges of marijuana trafficking.
The junior point guard was averaging 10.3 points and six assists per game for the MAC leading Zips. Without the 6-foot floor general running the show, Akron had to rely on freshman Carmelo Betancourt who finished with five points, four assists, and a pair of steals.
Abreu was shooting just under 40 percent from three, though, without him on the floor, the Zips shot 22 percent (6-for-27) from behind the arc.
Earlier in the day, Abreu plead not guilty to those charges at Akron Municipal Court, according to the Associated Press. Abreu posted $5,000 bail and was released from Summit County Jail. He gave no comments to reporters waiting for him outside.
Akron is now 24-6 (14-2 MAC) and if the loss to Kent State is any indication of how important Abreu is to the Zips, it appears their special season might be slipping away on the verge of the NCAA tournament.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)