Mar 8, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
Akron won 19 straight up until Mar. 2. The Zips dropped two of their last three games to close out the regular season.
Friday night, Akron fell 68-64 to Kent State, the first game since Akron point guard Alex Abreu was suspended after being arrested on drug charges Thursday. Abreu was arrested on charges of marijuana trafficking.
The junior point guard was averaging 10.3 points and six assists per game for the MAC leading Zips. Without the 6-foot floor general running the show, Akron had to rely on freshman Carmelo Betancourt who finished with five points, four assists, and a pair of steals.
Abreu was shooting just under 40 percent from three, though, without him on the floor, the Zips shot 22 percent (6-for-27) from behind the arc.
Earlier in the day, Abreu plead not guilty to those charges at Akron Municipal Court, according to the Associated Press. Abreu posted $5,000 bail and was released from Summit County Jail. He gave no comments to reporters waiting for him outside.
Akron is now 24-6 (14-2 MAC) and if the loss to Kent State is any indication of how important Abreu is to the Zips, it appears their special season might be slipping away on the verge of the NCAA tournament.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)