Mar 8, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
With seats in Section 118 of the Verizon Center, the Georgetown Stonewalls have been a highly active alumni support group for the Georgetown basketball program.
The Stonewalls have displayed various tifo (soccer-style banners, for those who aren’t familiar) at Hoya games, whether it’s to pay homage to the seven basketball schools that will assume the Big East name on July 1 or let a departing conference member (before the split, of course) know how they feel about their decision.
With Saturday’s regular season finale against rival Syracuse also being the final meeting between the two programs as conference rivals (barring a meeting in next week’s Big East tournament), the Stonewalls are planning a special tifo to mark the occasion.
According to a release from the Stonewalls, the tifo measures 52 feet by 25 feet and will feature both Jack the Bulldog and Otto the Orange. This will be the fifth tifo the Stonewalls have created this season.
Featuring the two schools’ mascots, Jack the Bulldog and Otto the Orange, the tifo’s message echoes Georgetown coach John Thompson III’s sentiments about the rivalry and Saturday’s game, “Without a doubt, it’ll be emotional… As much as we both plan on continuing to play, it’s going to be different. What has made these games so special, this rivalry so special — and then, in turn, made this league so special — is the Georgetown-Syracuse games.”
In total the Stonewalls plan to display some 15 flags at the game, with one honoring sophomore forward Otto Porter Jr., who is the favorite for Big East Player of the Year and also one of the candidates for national Player of the Year honors.
With the three-plus decades of memories that the Big East and these two storied rivals have given college basketball, it will be interesting to see what the Stonewalls produce during Saturday’s game.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)