Mar 8, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
Well it was worth a shot?
Last week, Adidas released new uniforms that Kansas, Louisville, Baylor, Cincinnati, UCLA and Norte Dame would wear during both conference and NCAA tournaments. Yet one Adidas sponsored team was left out of the mix: Indiana.
The Hoosiers declined to have wear the interesting new look. The Cardinals, Bears, and Bruins will all wear the short-sleeve jerseys that the Golden State Warriors broke out earlier in the season. The Jayhawks (likely Big 12 tournament only), Bearcats and Irish will rock camo threads. However, those uniforms didn’t appeal to the tradition of Indiana.
“The Indiana uniform is such a reflection of who we are as a program and a university that we weren’t comfortable moving away from our classic, iconic uniforms,” IU athletic director Fred Class told Terry Hutchens of the Indianapolis Star.
“I take seriously our obligation to be a good partner with Adidas, and we weren’t cavalier about this. But when all is said and done, that’s just not something that I think is appropriate for us here at Indiana to do.”
Indiana wearing flashy uniforms would be the equivalent of altering the Yankee pinstripes. IU saying no to these uniforms is probably for the best. Can’t imagine those would go over well in Bloomington, as they probably aren’t favored in Lawrence or Westwood.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)