Mar 8, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
Well it was worth a shot?
Last week, Adidas released new uniforms that Kansas, Louisville, Baylor, Cincinnati, UCLA and Norte Dame would wear during both conference and NCAA tournaments. Yet one Adidas sponsored team was left out of the mix: Indiana.
The Hoosiers declined to have wear the interesting new look. The Cardinals, Bears, and Bruins will all wear the short-sleeve jerseys that the Golden State Warriors broke out earlier in the season. The Jayhawks (likely Big 12 tournament only), Bearcats and Irish will rock camo threads. However, those uniforms didn’t appeal to the tradition of Indiana.
“The Indiana uniform is such a reflection of who we are as a program and a university that we weren’t comfortable moving away from our classic, iconic uniforms,” IU athletic director Fred Class told Terry Hutchens of the Indianapolis Star.
“I take seriously our obligation to be a good partner with Adidas, and we weren’t cavalier about this. But when all is said and done, that’s just not something that I think is appropriate for us here at Indiana to do.”
Indiana wearing flashy uniforms would be the equivalent of altering the Yankee pinstripes. IU saying no to these uniforms is probably for the best. Can’t imagine those would go over well in Bloomington, as they probably aren’t favored in Lawrence or Westwood.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)