Mar 8, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
Well it was worth a shot?
Last week, Adidas released new uniforms that Kansas, Louisville, Baylor, Cincinnati, UCLA and Norte Dame would wear during both conference and NCAA tournaments. Yet one Adidas sponsored team was left out of the mix: Indiana.
The Hoosiers declined to have wear the interesting new look. The Cardinals, Bears, and Bruins will all wear the short-sleeve jerseys that the Golden State Warriors broke out earlier in the season. The Jayhawks (likely Big 12 tournament only), Bearcats and Irish will rock camo threads. However, those uniforms didn’t appeal to the tradition of Indiana.
“The Indiana uniform is such a reflection of who we are as a program and a university that we weren’t comfortable moving away from our classic, iconic uniforms,” IU athletic director Fred Class told Terry Hutchens of the Indianapolis Star.
“I take seriously our obligation to be a good partner with Adidas, and we weren’t cavalier about this. But when all is said and done, that’s just not something that I think is appropriate for us here at Indiana to do.”
Indiana wearing flashy uniforms would be the equivalent of altering the Yankee pinstripes. IU saying no to these uniforms is probably for the best. Can’t imagine those would go over well in Bloomington, as they probably aren’t favored in Lawrence or Westwood.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)