Mar 8, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
Well it was worth a shot?
Last week, Adidas released new uniforms that Kansas, Louisville, Baylor, Cincinnati, UCLA and Norte Dame would wear during both conference and NCAA tournaments. Yet one Adidas sponsored team was left out of the mix: Indiana.
The Hoosiers declined to have wear the interesting new look. The Cardinals, Bears, and Bruins will all wear the short-sleeve jerseys that the Golden State Warriors broke out earlier in the season. The Jayhawks (likely Big 12 tournament only), Bearcats and Irish will rock camo threads. However, those uniforms didn’t appeal to the tradition of Indiana.
“The Indiana uniform is such a reflection of who we are as a program and a university that we weren’t comfortable moving away from our classic, iconic uniforms,” IU athletic director Fred Class told Terry Hutchens of the Indianapolis Star.
“I take seriously our obligation to be a good partner with Adidas, and we weren’t cavalier about this. But when all is said and done, that’s just not something that I think is appropriate for us here at Indiana to do.”
Indiana wearing flashy uniforms would be the equivalent of altering the Yankee pinstripes. IU saying no to these uniforms is probably for the best. Can’t imagine those would go over well in Bloomington, as they probably aren’t favored in Lawrence or Westwood.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)