Mar 8, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
Well it was worth a shot?
Last week, Adidas released new uniforms that Kansas, Louisville, Baylor, Cincinnati, UCLA and Norte Dame would wear during both conference and NCAA tournaments. Yet one Adidas sponsored team was left out of the mix: Indiana.
The Hoosiers declined to have wear the interesting new look. The Cardinals, Bears, and Bruins will all wear the short-sleeve jerseys that the Golden State Warriors broke out earlier in the season. The Jayhawks (likely Big 12 tournament only), Bearcats and Irish will rock camo threads. However, those uniforms didn’t appeal to the tradition of Indiana.
“The Indiana uniform is such a reflection of who we are as a program and a university that we weren’t comfortable moving away from our classic, iconic uniforms,” IU athletic director Fred Class told Terry Hutchens of the Indianapolis Star.
“I take seriously our obligation to be a good partner with Adidas, and we weren’t cavalier about this. But when all is said and done, that’s just not something that I think is appropriate for us here at Indiana to do.”
Indiana wearing flashy uniforms would be the equivalent of altering the Yankee pinstripes. IU saying no to these uniforms is probably for the best. Can’t imagine those would go over well in Bloomington, as they probably aren’t favored in Lawrence or Westwood.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)