Mar 8, 2013, 9:21 AM EST
Game of the Weekend: No. 2 Indiana at No. 7 Michigan (Sun. 4:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
Well, here we are, five months into college basketball season we’ve come down to the final game of the regular season as we try to parse out just who, exactly, will be the Big Ten champion. If the Hoosiers win, they’re the outright champs, as they currently hold a one game lead over three teams, including the Wolverines. But if Michigan can pick up the W in Crisler Arena, it sets up a weird situation where the Big Ten could have as many as four teams share the Big Ten title.
The key matchup, obviously, is going to be Trey Burke. How does Indiana slow him down? Do they use Victor Oladipo on him and hope that Jordan Hulls and Yogi Ferrell can matchup with Nik Stauskas and Tim Hardaway Jr.? Do they risk sitting back in that zone that has gotten them into trouble at times this season?
The key for the Wolverines won’t be Burke, however; it’s going to be his supporting cast. Glenn Robinson III has had a nasty habit of disappearing in big games. Nik Stauskas has been a bit more consistent, but he hasn’t been as effective late in the year as he was early in the season. Throw in the fact that Michigan’s defense has been awful far too often late in the year, and this turns into a very dangerous basketball game.
What else should you watch this weekend?
No. 17 Syracuse at No. 5 Georgetown (Sat. 12:00 p.m. ET ESPN): The final installment of the best rivalry the Big East has to offer has brought out plenty of terrific remembrances (you can find our’s here), but this is an example of what made the rivalry so great: once you dig past all the nostalgia, you’ll realize that there is a lot on the line besides pride and revenge. Georgetown can win a Big East regular season title. Syracuse can climb their way into the top four in the Big East tournament and get themselves a double-bye.
No. 9 Kansas State at No. 13 Oklahoma State (Sat. 1:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3): Oklahoma State took themselves out of the running for a share of the Big 12 regular season title when they went and lost at Hilton Coliseum on Wednesday, but that doesn’t mean they won’t impact the race for the top. If the Pokes can knock off the Wildcats and Kansas beats Baylor, than the Jayhawks will win the outright Big 12 title. If Kansas State can go into Gallagher-Iba Arena and get a win, they’ll at the least earn a share of the league title.
No. 24 Notre Dame at No. 8 Louisville (Sat. 4:00 p.m. ET, CBS): Aside from potentially being the final game that the Irish play as a member of the Big East conference, there is plenty at stake here. Like Syracuse, Notre Dame needs to win if they want a chance at being a top four seed in the Big East tournament. Like Georgetown, a home win for the Cardinals will give them, at the least, a share of the Big East crown. Oh, and the last time these two tangoed, it went five overtimes.
No. 3 Duke at North Carolina (Sat. 9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): If this isn’t the best rivalry in all of college hoops, it is right up there. UNC has been a completely different team over the last month of the season, as they have gone to a small lineup that creates mismatches all over the floor and allows them to get out and run more often. It has also brought about a change in Marcus Paige, who is playing his best basketball of the season. Can the Heels pull out a statement victory at home?
There are four automatic bids to be earned this weekend:
- Atlantic Sun (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Ohio Valley (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Big South (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Missouri Valley (2:05 p.m. ET, CBS)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)