Mar 8, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Kentucky has dropped two straight after Thursday’s 72-62 loss to Georgia, which has only added to the bubble talk that has centered around this team for much of the season.
Since Nerlens Noel went down with a torn ACL, the Wildcats are 3-3 and head into Saturday’s afternoon showdown with No. 11 Florida. A win against Florida would bluster Kentucky’s resume, but a loss would force the Wildcats to make a run in the SEC Tournament. Head coach John Calipari put it simply to his team at Friday’s practice: “This is a one-game season.”
The stage is set for Big Blue Nation to lift its spirits. It’s at home, on senior day against the top team in the SEC. The same team that smacked them by 17 back on Feb. 12, which was also the game where Noel suffered his season-ending injury. If that’s not enough, maybe Kentucky isn’t deserving.
Coach Cal took all the blame for the team’s lack of chemistry, yet Archie Goodwin stated after the Georgia loss, the players have more than their fair share.
We’ve got one more regular season game left and there is not much you can coach us about. You can’t coach a mentality. You just can’t do it. He’s prepared us thus far, but you just can’t coach a mentality. You’ve got to want to do it.”
If the Wildcats want to be one of the 68 names called on Selection Sunday, they have the chance to prove it on Saturday with a marquee win to wrap up the regular season. Big Blue Nation will have a better sense of security with a win over the eleventh-ranked team in the country, especially with potential bid thieves coming from various conference tournaments.
The damage has been done with especially since Noel has gone done. All three losses have been by double figures, including a 30-point lss to Tennessee. Although Kentucky did beat Missouri, two of the three wins during this stretch have been against Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, who combine for a 10-24 conference record.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)