Mar 8, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
The Catholic 7 will officially take the Big East, as they separate from the conference. The new Big East will look to fill out the conference with teams like Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, and Creighton.
The Big East will put a dent into the level of play of the Atlantic 10. The Missouri Valley Conference might lose the Bluejays, its top team heading into the conference tournament. The MVC has already begun searching for teams that could replace Creighton, according to Dan Wolken of USA Today.
Wolken reports that Belmont and Denver would be strong candidates, if the MVC needed to fill the void Creighton would leave while Loyola (Ill.) and Oral Roberts have also been discussed.
Bringing in Belmont would held do so. Belmont has an impressive history recently, clinching five NCAA bids in the last seven seasons. The Bruins are 24-6 (14-2) leading the Ohio Valley Conference and are two wins away from securing another tourney berth. Denver has 20 wins this season and are currently second behind Louisiana Tech in WAC.
This report comes on the same day that the Big East announces the official separation of the Catholic 7. According to Wolken, it’s uncertain if Creighton would start it’s Big East affiliation for the 2014-2015 season.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)