Mar 8, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
The Catholic 7 will officially take the Big East, as they separate from the conference. The new Big East will look to fill out the conference with teams like Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, and Creighton.
The Big East will put a dent into the level of play of the Atlantic 10. The Missouri Valley Conference might lose the Bluejays, its top team heading into the conference tournament. The MVC has already begun searching for teams that could replace Creighton, according to Dan Wolken of USA Today.
Wolken reports that Belmont and Denver would be strong candidates, if the MVC needed to fill the void Creighton would leave while Loyola (Ill.) and Oral Roberts have also been discussed.
Bringing in Belmont would held do so. Belmont has an impressive history recently, clinching five NCAA bids in the last seven seasons. The Bruins are 24-6 (14-2) leading the Ohio Valley Conference and are two wins away from securing another tourney berth. Denver has 20 wins this season and are currently second behind Louisiana Tech in WAC.
This report comes on the same day that the Big East announces the official separation of the Catholic 7. According to Wolken, it’s uncertain if Creighton would start it’s Big East affiliation for the 2014-2015 season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)