Mar 8, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
The Catholic 7 will officially take the Big East, as they separate from the conference. The new Big East will look to fill out the conference with teams like Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, and Creighton.
The Big East will put a dent into the level of play of the Atlantic 10. The Missouri Valley Conference might lose the Bluejays, its top team heading into the conference tournament. The MVC has already begun searching for teams that could replace Creighton, according to Dan Wolken of USA Today.
Wolken reports that Belmont and Denver would be strong candidates, if the MVC needed to fill the void Creighton would leave while Loyola (Ill.) and Oral Roberts have also been discussed.
Bringing in Belmont would held do so. Belmont has an impressive history recently, clinching five NCAA bids in the last seven seasons. The Bruins are 24-6 (14-2) leading the Ohio Valley Conference and are two wins away from securing another tourney berth. Denver has 20 wins this season and are currently second behind Louisiana Tech in WAC.
This report comes on the same day that the Big East announces the official separation of the Catholic 7. According to Wolken, it’s uncertain if Creighton would start it’s Big East affiliation for the 2014-2015 season.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)