Mar 8, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
The Catholic 7 will officially take the Big East, as they separate from the conference. The new Big East will look to fill out the conference with teams like Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, and Creighton.
The Big East will put a dent into the level of play of the Atlantic 10. The Missouri Valley Conference might lose the Bluejays, its top team heading into the conference tournament. The MVC has already begun searching for teams that could replace Creighton, according to Dan Wolken of USA Today.
Wolken reports that Belmont and Denver would be strong candidates, if the MVC needed to fill the void Creighton would leave while Loyola (Ill.) and Oral Roberts have also been discussed.
Bringing in Belmont would held do so. Belmont has an impressive history recently, clinching five NCAA bids in the last seven seasons. The Bruins are 24-6 (14-2) leading the Ohio Valley Conference and are two wins away from securing another tourney berth. Denver has 20 wins this season and are currently second behind Louisiana Tech in WAC.
This report comes on the same day that the Big East announces the official separation of the Catholic 7. According to Wolken, it’s uncertain if Creighton would start it’s Big East affiliation for the 2014-2015 season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)