Mar 8, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
The Catholic 7 will officially take the Big East, as they separate from the conference. The new Big East will look to fill out the conference with teams like Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, and Creighton.
The Big East will put a dent into the level of play of the Atlantic 10. The Missouri Valley Conference might lose the Bluejays, its top team heading into the conference tournament. The MVC has already begun searching for teams that could replace Creighton, according to Dan Wolken of USA Today.
Wolken reports that Belmont and Denver would be strong candidates, if the MVC needed to fill the void Creighton would leave while Loyola (Ill.) and Oral Roberts have also been discussed.
Bringing in Belmont would held do so. Belmont has an impressive history recently, clinching five NCAA bids in the last seven seasons. The Bruins are 24-6 (14-2) leading the Ohio Valley Conference and are two wins away from securing another tourney berth. Denver has 20 wins this season and are currently second behind Louisiana Tech in WAC.
This report comes on the same day that the Big East announces the official separation of the Catholic 7. According to Wolken, it’s uncertain if Creighton would start it’s Big East affiliation for the 2014-2015 season.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)