Mar 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Lehigh hadn’t gotten its hopes up about getting guard C.J. McCollum back for the Patriot League tournament and, unfortunately for the Mountain Hawks, so far things are working out as planned.
McCollum will not be in the lineup Saturday for Lehigh when it takes on Lafayette in the semifinal round of the Patriot League tournament. He has been out since he injured his foot Jan. 5 in a game against Virginia Commonwealth. Initially, doctors predicted a recovery period of eight to 10 weeks, which opened up the possibility of him being available for the conference tournament.
According to the Associated Press, the team is being cautious with McCollum, who is expected to be selected in the 2013 NBA Draft. Prior to his injury, he had been averaging 23.9 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.
Without him in the lineup, Lehigh’s focus will again be in the frontcourt with forwards Gabe Knutson and Holden Greiner. Those two will provide most of the scoring, while the Lehigh defense needs to get out on Lafayette’s three-point shooters. The Leopards do not play at a quick pace, but there are one of the more efficient teams in the country and shoot a solid percentage from the field.
Lehigh-Lafayette tips off at 2 p.m. ET on the CBS Sports Network.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)