Mar 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Lehigh hadn’t gotten its hopes up about getting guard C.J. McCollum back for the Patriot League tournament and, unfortunately for the Mountain Hawks, so far things are working out as planned.
McCollum will not be in the lineup Saturday for Lehigh when it takes on Lafayette in the semifinal round of the Patriot League tournament. He has been out since he injured his foot Jan. 5 in a game against Virginia Commonwealth. Initially, doctors predicted a recovery period of eight to 10 weeks, which opened up the possibility of him being available for the conference tournament.
According to the Associated Press, the team is being cautious with McCollum, who is expected to be selected in the 2013 NBA Draft. Prior to his injury, he had been averaging 23.9 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.
Without him in the lineup, Lehigh’s focus will again be in the frontcourt with forwards Gabe Knutson and Holden Greiner. Those two will provide most of the scoring, while the Lehigh defense needs to get out on Lafayette’s three-point shooters. The Leopards do not play at a quick pace, but there are one of the more efficient teams in the country and shoot a solid percentage from the field.
Lehigh-Lafayette tips off at 2 p.m. ET on the CBS Sports Network.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)