Mar 9, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Wednesday night, the Syracuse University twitter account sent out — and then deleted — a cryptic tweet linking a story written by a community college student that said that Jim Boeheim would be retiring after this season.
Most discredited the report, but it only helped to fuel speculation that this could end up being the final season that Boeheim coaches at Syracuse.
And after his team lost to Georgetown 61-39 on Saturday afternoon, the final installment of the Big East’s most intense rivalry, Boeheim certainly didn’t sound like a coach excited about leading the program that he helped build into the ACC.
“I’m pretty much ready to go play golf someplace,” he said. “If I was 40 years old, I would be real upset. I’m not 40 years old. That should be obvious.”
Whether that’s simply a coincidence or a bit of foreshadowing by one of the Big East’s forefathers is something that’s surely to be debated throughout the offseason, and not just on the Syracuse message boards.
Throughout his press conference after the game, Boeheim was quite reflective, telling stories from the Big East’s early days and talking wistfully about the times before football ruled all.
The notoriously surly Boeheim even got a chance to needle reporters in the room, saying “I’ll miss some of these press conferences with you people. Everybody’s mad at me for a couple weeks. ‘How can he say that?’ It’s easy. Real easy. I don’t care.”
We all had a chuckle at that.
Boeheim did as well. “I’m not very emotional, so I’m just gonna smile a little bit,” he said.
And then he left, a man clearly reflecting on the end of an era.
But whether the era in question is Syracuse’s time in the Big East and their rivalry with Georgetown or Boeheim’s tenure as the most popular man in Upstate New York is a question that only he can answer.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)