Mar 9, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Ben McLemore has been sensational for Kansas this season. Anthony Bennett has meant just as much if not more to UNLV. But the Freshman of the Year should be Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart and he showed why in the Cowboys’ 76-70 win over No. 9 Kansas State Saturday.
His 21 points, six rebounds, and six assists, lock Oklahoma State into the third seed in the Big 12 tournament and cap an 11-2 stretch in the final 13 games of the conference season. And much of the credit goes to Smart.
While Bennett and McLemore have each had their share of struggles down the stretch, Smart has found a way to contribute in ways that don’t necessarily involve scoring the ball. Take, for example, Oklahoma State’s Feb. 6 win over Baylor. Though Smart was 4-of-21 from the floor, he still had eight rebounds, seven assists, no turnovers, and was 5-of-6 from the free throw line.
Saturday, Smart was aggressive getting to the basket, tough, physical and wiling to draw contact in the lane. McLemore might have the scoring acumen, but he is not the type of distributor that Smart is, and Bennett has had to struggle through injuries down the home stretch.
All three should be Top 10 picks in the upcoming 2013 NBA Draft, but at this level, Smart is the nation’s best freshman.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)