Mar 9, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
St. John’s stormed back from 10 points down with 2:46 to play in the second half Saturday to force overtime, but No. 17 Marquette was too much in overtime for the young Red Storm.
With just over seven seconds remaining in overtime and coming out of a timeout with possession of the ball, Marquette guard Vander Blue drove down the right side of the paint and was met by St. John’s shot blocker Chris Obekpa. Blue used his build to shield the defender away and threw up a layup that rattled around the rim and went home as time expired for a 69-67 win.
The victory ties Marquette with Georgetown at the top of the Big East standings, with Louisville in control against Notre Dame in the second half Saturday. A Louisville win would create a three-way tie at the top of the conference.
Watch Blue’s buzzer beater below:
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)