Mar 9, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
St. John’s stormed back from 10 points down with 2:46 to play in the second half Saturday to force overtime, but No. 17 Marquette was too much in overtime for the young Red Storm.
With just over seven seconds remaining in overtime and coming out of a timeout with possession of the ball, Marquette guard Vander Blue drove down the right side of the paint and was met by St. John’s shot blocker Chris Obekpa. Blue used his build to shield the defender away and threw up a layup that rattled around the rim and went home as time expired for a 69-67 win.
The victory ties Marquette with Georgetown at the top of the Big East standings, with Louisville in control against Notre Dame in the second half Saturday. A Louisville win would create a three-way tie at the top of the conference.
Watch Blue’s buzzer beater below:
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)