Mar 9, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 5 Georgetown vs. No. 17 Syracuse (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Otto Porter made his case for National Player of the Year when these two teams last met, scoring 33 points and carrying Georgetown in a big road win over the Orange. Now the Hoyas return home with a chance to claim at least a share of the Big East regular season title with a win. Syracuse has some concerned because of its recent slide, having lost three of its last four games and sliding back into the middle of the pack in the Big East.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Lafayette (-2) vs. Lehigh (2:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
Lehigh will be without star C.J. McCollum again, as he has been ruled out for Saturday’s semifinal, but the Mountain Hawks still have plenty to work with. The key for Lehigh will be defending the Lafayette three-point shooters, who lit them up in the two previous matchups (21-of-51) between these teams. That includes the team’s leading scorer, Seth Hinrichs, who averages 14.6 points per game. Lehigh has the advantage in the frontcourt and that’s what it should look to exploit. That means Gabe Knutson and Holden Greiner need to come up big Saturday.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: San Diego State vs. Boise State (3:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
In the first meeting between these two teams San Diego State blew a 17-point lead before Chase Tapley saved them with a three-pointer with 2.8 seconds remaining, giving the Aztecs a 63-62 win. This time around, the stakes are higher in the season finale. Boise State sits on the bubble and couldn’t get resume-building road wins over New Mexico and UNLV in recent weeks, but now returns home with another chance to solidify its spot. As for San Diego State, the Aztecs are cemented in the tournament but could use another win on the road to affect their seating.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 3 Duke has not lost a game with Ryan Kelly in the lineup. Kelly has put up astronomical numbers since returning from his foot injury. What does it likely mean when you consider those two factors for Saturday’s rivalry matchup with North Carolina? A Duke win on the road. But don’t underestimate North Carolina. Since Roy Williams switch to a smaller, for versatile lineup, the Tar Heels have become a different team.
2) No. 6 Miami severely hurt its chances at a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament with a loss at the buzzer to Georgia Tech. The Hurricanes have now lost three of their last four, including games to Wake Forest and that game against Georgia Tech. They try to get back on track Saturday against Clemson.
3) Indiana State escaped last night in the final moments to advance in the crazy Missouri Valley tournament. The Sycamores now meet Creighton, who they beat handily in their first meeting of the season. Expect Doug McDermott to come up big after his huge season finale to clinch the conference title.
4) Amidst all the drama in the Big Ten, Big East, and ACC, don’t forget about the Big 12. Kansas State is tied atop the conference with Kansas and a win Saturday, plus a Jayhawk loss, would give the Wildcats an outright conference title. They take on Oklahoma State.
5) Kentucky’s NCAA tournament hopes took another blow with its double-digit loss to Georgia this week. Because of that, it needs a big home win over No. 11 Florida and a run in the SEC tournament to stay alive.
The Top 25
No. 3 Duke vs. North Carolina (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 4 Kansas vs. Baylor (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 5 Georgetown vs. No. 17 Syracuse (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 6 Miami vs. Clemson (2:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 8 Louisville vs. No. 24 Notre Dame (4:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 9 Kansas State vs. No. 13 Oklahoma State (1:30 p.m. ET)
No. 11 Florida vs. Kentucky (12:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 12 New Mexico vs. Air Force (6:00 p.m. ET)
No. 15 Marquette vs. St. John’s (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 16 Saint Louis vs. La Salle (1:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
No. 18 Arizona vs. Arizona State (4:30 p.m. ET, Fox Sports Net National)
No. 19 Oregon vs. Utah (2:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
No. 20 Pittsburgh vs. DePaul (2:00 p.m. ET)
No. 23 UCLA vs. Washington (2:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 25 Memphis vs. UAB (12:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
Other Notable Games
Providence vs. Connecticut (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Minnesota vs. Purdue (12:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
Ole Miss vs. LSU (1:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
NC State vs. Florida State (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
Lehigh vs. Lafayette (2:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
Indiana State vs. Creighton (2:35 p.m. ET)
San Diego State vs. Boise State (3:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
Georgia vs. Alabama (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Missouri vs. Tennessee (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Oregon State vs. Colorado (4:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
Canisius vs. Iona (4:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Cornell vs. Harvard (5:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
Fresno State vs. UNLV (6:00 p.m. ET)
Xavier vs. Butler (6:30 ET, CBS Sports Network)
Louisiana Tech vs. Denver (7:00 p.m. ET, ROOT Sports)
Nevada vs. Colorado State (8:30 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
Aug 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The conference tournament will now span five days, with there being a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11 (11 seed vs. 14 seed, 12 seed vs. 13 seed).
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)