Mar 9, 2013, 9:39 PM EDT
There’s Kerron Johnson, hitting his second huge shot of the game with 1.2 seconds left to give Belmont, the Ohio Valley’s regular season champion, the conference’s automatic bid in their inaugural season as a member.
Johnson hit a similar shot over Ed Daniel to tie the game — and complete a come back from seven points down with two minutes left — to force the overtime.
Johnson and the OVC’s co-Player of the Year, back court mate Ian Clark, lead a team talented enough to win a game or two in the NCAA tournament.
What hurt, however, is that this is likely the last that we will see of Isaiah Canaan on a college basketball court. The Murray State star, and Clark’s counterpart as the OVC’s best player, was an all-american last season as he led the Racers to a 30-win season and a No. 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. But this year’s team simply couldn’t overcome the loss of last year’s senior class.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)