Mar 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
That right there is Todd Fletcher drilling a three with 2.4 seconds left as Air Force picked up a win over MWC champion New Mexico, 89-88, on Saturday afternoon.
The Lobos, one of the best defensive teams in the country, blew a four-point lead in the final 16 seconds the same way they struggled to defend the Falcons all night long: the inability to deal with the three-ball. Air Force was 15-31 from deep on the night, which was only marginally better than the 15-33 that New Mexico shot on Saturday. Talk about a shoot-out.
Anyway, to the point, I don’t think that this says all that much about New Mexico. The Lobos already clinched the MWC regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the MWC tournament. They didn’t have anything to play for, and Air Force might still have pipe dreams about an at-large bid. AFA is also the kind of program that would happily accept a bid to the NIT, and they seem locked in to at least one nationally televised postseason tournament.
And frankly, the Falcons are a dangerous team. They beat four of the top five teams in the MWC at home this season.
The bad news? They’ve really struggled on the road, and they get UNLV in the first round of the conference tournament, which just so happens to be hosted in UNLV’s arena.
The good news? Fresno State just picked off the Rebels at the Thomas & Mack Center.
I think the only thing we know about the MWC this year is that we don’t actually know a thing.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)