Mar 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
That right there is Todd Fletcher drilling a three with 2.4 seconds left as Air Force picked up a win over MWC champion New Mexico, 89-88, on Saturday afternoon.
The Lobos, one of the best defensive teams in the country, blew a four-point lead in the final 16 seconds the same way they struggled to defend the Falcons all night long: the inability to deal with the three-ball. Air Force was 15-31 from deep on the night, which was only marginally better than the 15-33 that New Mexico shot on Saturday. Talk about a shoot-out.
Anyway, to the point, I don’t think that this says all that much about New Mexico. The Lobos already clinched the MWC regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the MWC tournament. They didn’t have anything to play for, and Air Force might still have pipe dreams about an at-large bid. AFA is also the kind of program that would happily accept a bid to the NIT, and they seem locked in to at least one nationally televised postseason tournament.
And frankly, the Falcons are a dangerous team. They beat four of the top five teams in the MWC at home this season.
The bad news? They’ve really struggled on the road, and they get UNLV in the first round of the conference tournament, which just so happens to be hosted in UNLV’s arena.
The good news? Fresno State just picked off the Rebels at the Thomas & Mack Center.
I think the only thing we know about the MWC this year is that we don’t actually know a thing.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)