Mar 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
That right there is Todd Fletcher drilling a three with 2.4 seconds left as Air Force picked up a win over MWC champion New Mexico, 89-88, on Saturday afternoon.
The Lobos, one of the best defensive teams in the country, blew a four-point lead in the final 16 seconds the same way they struggled to defend the Falcons all night long: the inability to deal with the three-ball. Air Force was 15-31 from deep on the night, which was only marginally better than the 15-33 that New Mexico shot on Saturday. Talk about a shoot-out.
Anyway, to the point, I don’t think that this says all that much about New Mexico. The Lobos already clinched the MWC regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the MWC tournament. They didn’t have anything to play for, and Air Force might still have pipe dreams about an at-large bid. AFA is also the kind of program that would happily accept a bid to the NIT, and they seem locked in to at least one nationally televised postseason tournament.
And frankly, the Falcons are a dangerous team. They beat four of the top five teams in the MWC at home this season.
The bad news? They’ve really struggled on the road, and they get UNLV in the first round of the conference tournament, which just so happens to be hosted in UNLV’s arena.
The good news? Fresno State just picked off the Rebels at the Thomas & Mack Center.
I think the only thing we know about the MWC this year is that we don’t actually know a thing.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)