Mar 9, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
In a game that Kentucky badly needed to keep its NCAA tournament hopes alive, Willie Cauley-Stein blocked four shots and grabbed eight rebounds in a 61-57 Wildcat win over No. 11 Florida at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky.
Kentucky’s work is not yet done, but it can breathe a sigh of relief for now.
This is the final game of the regular season, but it is Kentucky’s first signature win. In a weak SEC, the chance for a win like this does not often come around, and the Wildcats missed out on quality-win opportunities earlier in the year against Duke, Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, and Florida. Add that to back-to-back unpalatable losses to Arkansas and Georgia, and this win Saturday becomes even more important.
Kentucky has an RPI of 54 and SOS of 72. Saturday’s win over Florida is its first over a Top 50 RPI opponent after losing its previous four this season. As unimpressive as that may be, it puts it ahead of other SEC bubble teams, namely Alabama and Ole Miss. Alabama is 0-4 against the RPI Top 50 and Kentucky now pulls even with Ole Miss’ one win from that group, which was a win over Missouri.
And that’s where the SEC tournament comes into play. Kentucky needs to separate itself from the other SEC bubble teams by winning a few games to solidify a spot in the NCAAs and avoid the NIT. The win Saturday was a step in the right direction, but there is still work to be done.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
Rhode Island landed an impact transfer on Tuesday.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Georgetown takes a major hit with the loss of D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT
Barry Hinson is not happy about losing the players he brought into the program.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t as good as the last two years, but there were still some impressive dunks.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Teams that won the first meeting have won three of the four Final Four/title game rematches, with Duke (1990-91) being the lone exception.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Mickey is the second player from LSU to declare this month.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Bobby Knight would probably not approve of that.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
My advice: Hedge that bet, sir!
Mar 31, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Lewis will have some well known suitors this offseason.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
Barnes spent the last 17 seasons at Texas.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina and Maryland make up the 2015 women’s Final Four.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Some great names highlight this list.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
Williams was the leading scorer and rebounder for the Tigers this season.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nebraska forward Walter Pitchford is giving up basketball for his senior season.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Xavier is losing a reserve guard to transfer.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Utah Valley has found its new head coach.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Chris Mullin will get a chance to restore glory at St. John’s.
Mar 30, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
George Mason makes a move to hire a new head coach.
Mar 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Who were the best players in the second-weekend of the NCAA tournament?
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)