Mar 10, 2013, 12:22 AM EDT
We’re getting off to an early start with the March Madness. It was a night full of buzzer beaters, and we have video for those of you who, for some unholy reason, do not sit in front of the television devouring every second of action cable TV can provide.
First, we had Trevor Releford’s improbable half-court heave to break UGA’s heart:
Then, the Horizon League finals were set in the most dramatic fashion possible:
We also had drama in the Mountain West, which is becoming standard:
Finally, Belmont made themselves quite at home in their first season in the Ohio Valley Conference, downing previous league bully Murray State with this basket of onions:
Belmont’s buzzer-beater earned them an auto-bid, putting them in company with two other programs who guaranteed passage to the Big Dance with wins. The other two were in much less dramatic fashion, but a win’s a win, especially in March.
To recap, that’s auto-bids for Belmont, Florida Gulf Coast and Harvard.
Along the way, some regular-season titles were decided with considerably less fanfare.
UCLA 61, Washington 54: The Bruins took the regular season title outright, thanks to Oregon’s slip-up at Utah.
Three teams split up the Big East title by winning on the same day:
Marquette 69, St. John’s 67: This one should have been in the buzzer beaters above. Bygones.
Louisville 73, Notre Dame 57: This one made Rob Dauster ask and answer a bunch of his own rhetorical questions.
St. Louis grabbed their piece of the hotly-contested A-10 title:
And, finally, Kansas lost badly to Baylor, but still won their ninth-straight Big 12 title, because Kansas State also came up short:
Lots of other stuff happened, but these were the most meaningful moments. And this was just one day in early March.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)