Mar 10, 2013, 12:22 AM EST
We’re getting off to an early start with the March Madness. It was a night full of buzzer beaters, and we have video for those of you who, for some unholy reason, do not sit in front of the television devouring every second of action cable TV can provide.
First, we had Trevor Releford’s improbable half-court heave to break UGA’s heart:
Then, the Horizon League finals were set in the most dramatic fashion possible:
We also had drama in the Mountain West, which is becoming standard:
Finally, Belmont made themselves quite at home in their first season in the Ohio Valley Conference, downing previous league bully Murray State with this basket of onions:
Belmont’s buzzer-beater earned them an auto-bid, putting them in company with two other programs who guaranteed passage to the Big Dance with wins. The other two were in much less dramatic fashion, but a win’s a win, especially in March.
To recap, that’s auto-bids for Belmont, Florida Gulf Coast and Harvard.
Along the way, some regular-season titles were decided with considerably less fanfare.
UCLA 61, Washington 54: The Bruins took the regular season title outright, thanks to Oregon’s slip-up at Utah.
Three teams split up the Big East title by winning on the same day:
Marquette 69, St. John’s 67: This one should have been in the buzzer beaters above. Bygones.
Louisville 73, Notre Dame 57: This one made Rob Dauster ask and answer a bunch of his own rhetorical questions.
St. Louis grabbed their piece of the hotly-contested A-10 title:
And, finally, Kansas lost badly to Baylor, but still won their ninth-straight Big 12 title, because Kansas State also came up short:
Lots of other stuff happened, but these were the most meaningful moments. And this was just one day in early March.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)