Mar 10, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Big South
Coach: Dale Layer
Record: 15-20, 6-10
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 257
- RPI: 299
- AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Liberty will be lucky to avoid a play-in game.
Names you need to know: John Caleb Sanders (13.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.5 apg), Davon Marshall (13.2 ppg, 2.9 apg)
Stats you need to know: Liberty is a sub-300 defensive team according to Kenpom. That could be a problem against a good team.
Tendencies: The Flames don’t force turnovers and they can’t rebound the ball, but they actually are a pretty good shooting team. They hit better than 36% from beyond the arc.
Big wins, bad losses: It’s hard to have a bad loss when you’re ranked 299th in the RPI. Liberty’s best performance this season? Losing by nine at Georgetown.
How’d they get here?: The Flames were the No. 5 seed from the North Division of the Big South, but they ran through Myrtle Beach Madness to earn the league’s automatic bid with an 87-76 win over Charleston Southern.
Outlook: What’s nice about the play-in game for a team like Liberty is that it means they may actually have a chance to win a game in the NCAA tournament. While everyone appreciates a conference tournament cinderella story, those cinderellas see their dream come to an end when they run into a No. 1 seed. An interesting side note, though, is that there still remains the possibility that Liberty could be a No. 16 seed and play No. 1 Duke. Duke guard Seth Curry began his college career at Liberty.
How do I know you? Seth Curry spent his freshman year at Liberty before transferring to Duke. This is the Flames first NCAA appearance since 2004.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent (3)