Mar 10, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Big South
Coach: Dale Layer
Record: 15-20, 6-10
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 257
– RPI: 299
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Liberty will be lucky to avoid a play-in game.
Names you need to know: John Caleb Sanders (13.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.5 apg), Davon Marshall (13.2 ppg, 2.9 apg)
Stats you need to know: Liberty is a sub-300 defensive team according to Kenpom. That could be a problem against a good team.
Tendencies: The Flames don’t force turnovers and they can’t rebound the ball, but they actually are a pretty good shooting team. They hit better than 36% from beyond the arc.
Big wins, bad losses: It’s hard to have a bad loss when you’re ranked 299th in the RPI. Liberty’s best performance this season? Losing by nine at Georgetown.
How’d they get here?: The Flames were the No. 5 seed from the North Division of the Big South, but they ran through Myrtle Beach Madness to earn the league’s automatic bid with an 87-76 win over Charleston Southern.
Outlook: What’s nice about the play-in game for a team like Liberty is that it means they may actually have a chance to win a game in the NCAA tournament. While everyone appreciates a conference tournament cinderella story, those cinderellas see their dream come to an end when they run into a No. 1 seed. An interesting side note, though, is that there still remains the possibility that Liberty could be a No. 16 seed and play No. 1 Duke. Duke guard Seth Curry began his college career at Liberty.
How do I know you? Seth Curry spent his freshman year at Liberty before transferring to Duke. This is the Flames first NCAA appearance since 2004.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)