Mar 10, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Big South
Coach: Dale Layer
Record: 15-20, 6-10
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 257
- RPI: 299
- AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Liberty will be lucky to avoid a play-in game.
Names you need to know: John Caleb Sanders (13.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.5 apg), Davon Marshall (13.2 ppg, 2.9 apg)
Stats you need to know: Liberty is a sub-300 defensive team according to Kenpom. That could be a problem against a good team.
Tendencies: The Flames don’t force turnovers and they can’t rebound the ball, but they actually are a pretty good shooting team. They hit better than 36% from beyond the arc.
Big wins, bad losses: It’s hard to have a bad loss when you’re ranked 299th in the RPI. Liberty’s best performance this season? Losing by nine at Georgetown.
How’d they get here?: The Flames were the No. 5 seed from the North Division of the Big South, but they ran through Myrtle Beach Madness to earn the league’s automatic bid with an 87-76 win over Charleston Southern.
Outlook: What’s nice about the play-in game for a team like Liberty is that it means they may actually have a chance to win a game in the NCAA tournament. While everyone appreciates a conference tournament cinderella story, those cinderellas see their dream come to an end when they run into a No. 1 seed. An interesting side note, though, is that there still remains the possibility that Liberty could be a No. 16 seed and play No. 1 Duke. Duke guard Seth Curry began his college career at Liberty.
How do I know you? Seth Curry spent his freshman year at Liberty before transferring to Duke. This is the Flames first NCAA appearance since 2004.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)