Mar 10, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 2 Indiana vs. No. 7 Michigan (4:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
Indiana has already locked up at least a share of the Big Ten title by (oddly enough) losing to Ohio State this week, so it will be Michigan who is clawing for a piece of the pie Sunday. If Michigan wins, they will finish 13-5 in the conference on the year as part of what could be a four-way tie, depending upon the outcomes of Ohio State-Illinois and Michigan State-Northwestern.
The key for Michigan will be the level of physicality that it can bring against Indiana. The problem is, interior depth has been one of its major problems this season. Having a presence in the paint and disrupting Cody Zeller’s offensive flow can go a long way toward derailing the Hoosiers’ offense. Taking away the inside puts more offensive pressure on Victor Oladipo and Christian Watford. The less weapons available and clicking offensively, the better for the Wolverines.
Michigan will want to turn Indiana missed shots and turnovers into points in transition, where they thrive. Indiana can combat that by being efficient and getting Oladipo in positions where he can be aggressive offensively.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Michigan (-1.5) vs. Indiana (See above)
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Wichita State vs. Creighton (MVC tournament championship) (2:05 p.m. ET, CBS)
Last time Doug McDermott faced Wichita State, he dropped 41 points and clinched the regular season conference title for the Bluejays. This time, it’s for the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. What should we expect? More McDermott. Wichita State needs to know, though, that they’re running into a hot Creighton team. After that dominating performance by McDermott in the season finale, the Bluejays shot 54 percent in their win over Indiana State Saturday. The recipe for a win is more Cleanthony Early and Carl Hall for the Shockers, along with contributions from point guard Malcolm Armstead.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 14 Ohio State and No. 10 Michigan State are, for one day, Michigan fans. Both teams need a win Sunday and an Indiana loss to create a four-way tie atop the Big Ten.
2) Saint Louis clinched at least a share of the Atlantic 10 regular season title Saturday by beating La Salle. Now the spotlight shifts to Virginia Commonwealth Sunday against Temple. A Ram victory gets Shaka Smart’s team a piece of the title pie in its first season in the A-10. A loss gives Saint Louis the title outright.
3) In a battle of NCAA tournament bubble teams, Maryland and Virginia match up Sunday. The winner has a leg up on the other in the race for the Big Dance. Expect Virginia’s Joe Harris to shine.
4) Stony Brook has been the best team in the America East regular season, but this is where mid-major hoops is at its best. Host team Albany is looking for an upset in the America East tournament. Winner moves on. Loser goes home.
5) Liberty pulled the upset Saturday over Gardner-Webb and now advances to the Big South championship game against Charleston Southern at noon. Winner gets the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
The Top 25
No. 2 Indiana vs. No. 7 Michigan (4:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 10 Michigan State vs. Northwestern (6:00 p.m. ET, CBS/Big Ten Network)
No. 14 Ohio State vs. Illinois (12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 21 Virginia Commonwealth vs. Temple (12:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 22 Wisconsin vs. Penn State (12:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
Other Notable Games
Liberty vs. Charleston Southern (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
Iona vs. Niagara (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Wichita State vs. Creighton (2:05 p.m. ET, CBS)
Maryland vs. Virginia (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Albany vs. Stony Brook (7:00 p.m. ET)
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Syracuse landed another 2015 pledge on Monday evening when guard Franklin Howard committed to the Orange.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Duke freshman forward Jabari Parker will decide on his future this week.
Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss will return for his sophomore season.
Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
Cornell transfer Nolan Cressler has committed to Vanderbilt.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)