Mar 11, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The coaching carousel has started anew with teams’ seasons ending, this time it’s Georgia Southern climbing on.
Charlton Young has been fired, according to multiple reports. In his four seasons in Statesboro, he led the Eagles to a 43-84 overall record, including a 14-19 record this season. Georgia Southern beat Wofford in the first round of the Southern Conference Tournament this year, but fell to Davidson in the second round.
It’s a tough break for Young. Coaching at a school like Georgia Southern, where there isn’t much tradition. The program hasn’t been the NCAA Tournament since 1992 and have only six total appearances in the NCAAs and the NIT.
Young seemed to recruit the state at a decent pace — he had five players on his roster from Georgia — but being only three hours from Atlanta, he failed to make successful in-roads to the city’s recruiting pool. Both with elite recruits and recruits that were on his team’s level. The proof is in his record.
He was one of the youngest head coaches in the nation when he took over the program in 2009 at age 37 and had served as an assistant coach at various schools, including Georgia Tech and Auburn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)