Mar 11, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
The coaching carousel has started anew with teams’ seasons ending, this time it’s Georgia Southern climbing on.
Charlton Young has been fired, according to multiple reports. In his four seasons in Statesboro, he led the Eagles to a 43-84 overall record, including a 14-19 record this season. Georgia Southern beat Wofford in the first round of the Southern Conference Tournament this year, but fell to Davidson in the second round.
It’s a tough break for Young. Coaching at a school like Georgia Southern, where there isn’t much tradition. The program hasn’t been the NCAA Tournament since 1992 and have only six total appearances in the NCAAs and the NIT.
Young seemed to recruit the state at a decent pace — he had five players on his roster from Georgia — but being only three hours from Atlanta, he failed to make successful in-roads to the city’s recruiting pool. Both with elite recruits and recruits that were on his team’s level. The proof is in his record.
He was one of the youngest head coaches in the nation when he took over the program in 2009 at age 37 and had served as an assistant coach at various schools, including Georgia Tech and Auburn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)