Mar 11, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
The coaching carousel has started anew with teams’ seasons ending, this time it’s Georgia Southern climbing on.
Charlton Young has been fired, according to multiple reports. In his four seasons in Statesboro, he led the Eagles to a 43-84 overall record, including a 14-19 record this season. Georgia Southern beat Wofford in the first round of the Southern Conference Tournament this year, but fell to Davidson in the second round.
It’s a tough break for Young. Coaching at a school like Georgia Southern, where there isn’t much tradition. The program hasn’t been the NCAA Tournament since 1992 and have only six total appearances in the NCAAs and the NIT.
Young seemed to recruit the state at a decent pace — he had five players on his roster from Georgia — but being only three hours from Atlanta, he failed to make successful in-roads to the city’s recruiting pool. Both with elite recruits and recruits that were on his team’s level. The proof is in his record.
He was one of the youngest head coaches in the nation when he took over the program in 2009 at age 37 and had served as an assistant coach at various schools, including Georgia Tech and Auburn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)