Mar 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Coach: Bob McKillop
Record: 26-7, 17-1
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 66
– RPI: 75
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Davidson as a No. 13 seed in Monday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Jake Cohen (14.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg), De’Mon Brooks (13.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg)
Stats you need to know: The Wildcats are as balanced as any team that you are going to come across. Six players average between 7.9 points and 14.9 points. They are a veteran group that has played together for a few years.
Tendencies: As you might expect out of a Bob McKillop-coached team, Davidson is a very good offensive team. They don’t have a ton of explosive scorers, rather they have two excellent forwards in Cohen and Brooks and surround them with a group of knockdown jumpshooters. They execute as well offensively as anyone in the country.
Big wins, bad losses: Davidson whiffed on a couple of chances to land a marquee win in the non-conference, and their wins over Vanderbilt and West Virginia just aren’t good wins this season.
How’d they get here?: The Wildcats rolled through the SoCon regular season and knocked off Charleston in the conference title game.
Outlook: Davidson is a very, very dangerous team. They’ve been to the tournament before. Their coach has had success here before (hello, Steph Curry). They’re a veteran group that knows how to play basketball and has beaten some of the best teams in the country (hello, Kansas last season). They execute offensively as well as any team in the country. With the right matchup, Davidson could be this year’s Sweet 16 mid-major darling. They haven’t lost since January 14th.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)