Mar 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Coach: Bob McKillop
Record: 26-7, 17-1
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 66
– RPI: 75
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Davidson as a No. 13 seed in Monday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Jake Cohen (14.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg), De’Mon Brooks (13.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg)
Stats you need to know: The Wildcats are as balanced as any team that you are going to come across. Six players average between 7.9 points and 14.9 points. They are a veteran group that has played together for a few years.
Tendencies: As you might expect out of a Bob McKillop-coached team, Davidson is a very good offensive team. They don’t have a ton of explosive scorers, rather they have two excellent forwards in Cohen and Brooks and surround them with a group of knockdown jumpshooters. They execute as well offensively as anyone in the country.
Big wins, bad losses: Davidson whiffed on a couple of chances to land a marquee win in the non-conference, and their wins over Vanderbilt and West Virginia just aren’t good wins this season.
How’d they get here?: The Wildcats rolled through the SoCon regular season and knocked off Charleston in the conference title game.
Outlook: Davidson is a very, very dangerous team. They’ve been to the tournament before. Their coach has had success here before (hello, Steph Curry). They’re a veteran group that knows how to play basketball and has beaten some of the best teams in the country (hello, Kansas last season). They execute offensively as well as any team in the country. With the right matchup, Davidson could be this year’s Sweet 16 mid-major darling. They haven’t lost since January 14th.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)