Mar 11, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Coach: Matt Brady
Record: 20-14, 11-7
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 188
– RPI: 194
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Northeastern as a No. 16 seed in Monday’s Bracket Projection, and the Huskies have a stronger profile than JMU. It may be tough for the Dukes to get out of the play-in game without some conference tournament upsets.
Names you need to know: Rayshawn Goins (12.6 ppg, 7.2 rpg), Devon Moore (11.7 ppg, 4.0 apg, 3.7 rpg), AJ Davis (11.7 ppg)
Stats you need to know: The Dukes are not a very good offensive team. They struggle shooting the ball and they are not all that good at getting to the offensive glass. But they don’t turn the ball over very much, which is a good thing. Might as well maximize the number of shots if you’re going to shoot a low-percentage.
Tendencies: JMU is, however, the best defensive team in the conference, leading the league in defensive efficiency during CAA play. The Dukes have a weird roster makeup, in that four of their top nine are seniors and four are freshmen, and while they don’t have a ton of size on the interior, Brady has a plethora of big guards at his disposal.
Big wins, bad losses: JMU won three games against Delaware and split with Towson, but didn’t pick up a notable win in non-conference play.
How’d they get here?: The No. 3 seed in the CAA tournament, JMU upset both Delaware and Northeastern to earn the league’s automatic bid. The win over the Huskies came in dominating fashion.
Outlook: James Madison has been a talented-but-underachieving team over the past couple of seasons, so it’s only fitting that in a season where they look to be down and undergoing a youth movement that Brady finally gets this group to the CAA title game. I’m not sure if they can beat a No. 1 or a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, however.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)