Mar 11, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Coach: Matt Brady
Record: 20-14, 11-7
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 188
– RPI: 194
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Northeastern as a No. 16 seed in Monday’s Bracket Projection, and the Huskies have a stronger profile than JMU. It may be tough for the Dukes to get out of the play-in game without some conference tournament upsets.
Names you need to know: Rayshawn Goins (12.6 ppg, 7.2 rpg), Devon Moore (11.7 ppg, 4.0 apg, 3.7 rpg), AJ Davis (11.7 ppg)
Stats you need to know: The Dukes are not a very good offensive team. They struggle shooting the ball and they are not all that good at getting to the offensive glass. But they don’t turn the ball over very much, which is a good thing. Might as well maximize the number of shots if you’re going to shoot a low-percentage.
Tendencies: JMU is, however, the best defensive team in the conference, leading the league in defensive efficiency during CAA play. The Dukes have a weird roster makeup, in that four of their top nine are seniors and four are freshmen, and while they don’t have a ton of size on the interior, Brady has a plethora of big guards at his disposal.
Big wins, bad losses: JMU won three games against Delaware and split with Towson, but didn’t pick up a notable win in non-conference play.
How’d they get here?: The No. 3 seed in the CAA tournament, JMU upset both Delaware and Northeastern to earn the league’s automatic bid. The win over the Huskies came in dominating fashion.
Outlook: James Madison has been a talented-but-underachieving team over the past couple of seasons, so it’s only fitting that in a season where they look to be down and undergoing a youth movement that Brady finally gets this group to the CAA title game. I’m not sure if they can beat a No. 1 or a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, however.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)