Mar 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
The long-shot chances of Fresno State in this week’s Mountain West Conference Tournament just got a little longer as Robert Upshaw will be suspended for its entirety.
Upshaw, a 7-foot freshman who was a highly-touted signee for the Bulldogs after he de-committed from Kansas State, is averaging 4.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game this season.
No word on the reason for the suspension.
Fresno State was already facing a nearly impossible road to the tournament championship with an 11-18 overall record and a 5-11 conference mark that led to a seven seed in the tournament. Now they’ll have to find another way to defend Colton Iverson in the post, playing two seed Colorado State in the first round.
Fresno State was already going have a rough time in the tournament, one that can only be described as a Gladiator-style gauntlet. Whoever wins that tournament may feel like they’ve won the Hunger Games, as well as lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament because they have nothing left.
Without Upshaw? Fresno State might succumb to those chariots and lions early.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)