Mar 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The long-shot chances of Fresno State in this week’s Mountain West Conference Tournament just got a little longer as Robert Upshaw will be suspended for its entirety.
Upshaw, a 7-foot freshman who was a highly-touted signee for the Bulldogs after he de-committed from Kansas State, is averaging 4.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game this season.
No word on the reason for the suspension.
Fresno State was already facing a nearly impossible road to the tournament championship with an 11-18 overall record and a 5-11 conference mark that led to a seven seed in the tournament. Now they’ll have to find another way to defend Colton Iverson in the post, playing two seed Colorado State in the first round.
Fresno State was already going have a rough time in the tournament, one that can only be described as a Gladiator-style gauntlet. Whoever wins that tournament may feel like they’ve won the Hunger Games, as well as lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament because they have nothing left.
Without Upshaw? Fresno State might succumb to those chariots and lions early.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)