Mar 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The long-shot chances of Fresno State in this week’s Mountain West Conference Tournament just got a little longer as Robert Upshaw will be suspended for its entirety.
Upshaw, a 7-foot freshman who was a highly-touted signee for the Bulldogs after he de-committed from Kansas State, is averaging 4.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game this season.
No word on the reason for the suspension.
Fresno State was already facing a nearly impossible road to the tournament championship with an 11-18 overall record and a 5-11 conference mark that led to a seven seed in the tournament. Now they’ll have to find another way to defend Colton Iverson in the post, playing two seed Colorado State in the first round.
Fresno State was already going have a rough time in the tournament, one that can only be described as a Gladiator-style gauntlet. Whoever wins that tournament may feel like they’ve won the Hunger Games, as well as lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament because they have nothing left.
Without Upshaw? Fresno State might succumb to those chariots and lions early.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)