Mar 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The long-shot chances of Fresno State in this week’s Mountain West Conference Tournament just got a little longer as Robert Upshaw will be suspended for its entirety.
Upshaw, a 7-foot freshman who was a highly-touted signee for the Bulldogs after he de-committed from Kansas State, is averaging 4.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game this season.
No word on the reason for the suspension.
Fresno State was already facing a nearly impossible road to the tournament championship with an 11-18 overall record and a 5-11 conference mark that led to a seven seed in the tournament. Now they’ll have to find another way to defend Colton Iverson in the post, playing two seed Colorado State in the first round.
Fresno State was already going have a rough time in the tournament, one that can only be described as a Gladiator-style gauntlet. Whoever wins that tournament may feel like they’ve won the Hunger Games, as well as lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament because they have nothing left.
Without Upshaw? Fresno State might succumb to those chariots and lions early.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)