Mar 11, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
USC has announced the suspensions of Dewayne Dedmon and James Blasczyk from all team activities for a violation of team rules.
“Separately, we are aware of the Spokane investigation into an alleged incident with those player and we are cooperating with the authorities to determine the facts. Until we learn all the facts, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” USC interim head coach Bob Cantu said in a release.
Dedmon is averaging 6.7 points and seven rebounds this season and Blasczyk is at 1.5 points and 1.2 rebounds on the year.
Judging by the tone of the statement, it’s safe to assume that the two players are suspended for their alleged role in an altercation in downtown Spokane earlier this week, following USC’s 76-51 loss at Washington State.
While no players were named in the report following the incident, one person describes someone involved in the brawl as “7-foot, 260 pounds and the center for USC.” That’s a description that could describe both Dedmon and Blasczyk. Dedmon is listed as 7-foot, 255 pounds and Blasczyk is listed at 7-1, 260 pounds.
This is a tough break for the Trojans, especially this close to the Pac-12 Conference tournament. Dedmon is a consistent contributor and Blasczyk provided the post depth that USC sorely needs. With other serious cases of brawls involving college basketball players popping up this season — most notably involving Wyoming’s Luke Martinez — it’s impossible to know what’s going to happen to these two. The investigation will determine that and I think it’s fair to wait and let all the facts come out before passing judgment.
But from an on-court perspective, this is a huge hit to the post depth of the Trojans, who now have to rely on 7-2 Omar Oraby even more. The Trojans were lucky to have three seven-footers on their roster. Now they’ll be lucky to get one of the two back for the Pac-12 Tournament.
USC opens the tournament on Wednesday against Utah.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)