Mar 11, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Grantland has out a niche for themselves in the blogging world by creating “brackets” to settle arguments that have no need to be settled but could go on for hours and hours in the right setting.
They did one to determine the greatest character in the history of The Wire. They did one to determine the greatest Chappelle’s Show skit ever. And now, they’ve got a bracket up with to sole purpose of determining the most hated player in college basketball in the past three decades.
And really, the bracket structure is flawless.
There’s one region for players the ’80s, one for players from the ’90s, one for players from the ’00s and one for players from Duke.
Given how much the general public despises the Blue Devils, it’s tough to imagine that the winner of the Duke region won’t be the overwhelming favorite heading into the Final Four. I mean, just look at some of those names: Christian Laettner, Steve Wojciechowski, Greg Paulus, JJ Redick.
Tyler Hansbrough will be a favorite coming from the other side of the bracket, but here’s a sleeper pick for you: Aaron Craft. He’s currently the nation’s best “little white guy who gets showered with all the cliche intangible terms”, which is the easiest way to find yourself hated. Throw in the current relevancy of the Big Ten, and Craft has a chance to make a run to the Final Four.
But, in the end, we all know who is going to win.
Kentucky fans dominate every single online poll in the college basketball world, and every single one of them has a special spot in their heart dedicated solely to hating Christian Laettner.
It will be a landslide.
Which player did you hate the most in the last three decades?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)