Mar 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Davidson’s Bob McKillop has been chosen to serve as the head coach of Team USA in the 2013 World University Games Team, which will take place July 7-16 in Kazan, Russia, USA Basketball announced Tuesday.
McKillop will be joined on the staff by assistants John Beilein, currently the head coach at Michigan, and Frank Martin, the head coach at South Carolina.
“Representing our country is one of the most significant experiences for a coach or player,” said McKillop in a statement. “I will treasure the opportunity. It’s an honor to coach the USA Basketball World University Games Team.”
McKillop has coached at Davidson since 1989 and on Monday night won his seventh Southern Conference tournament title. He has been involved with Team USA before, having coached the 2008 USA U18 National Team and he was also an assistant coach for Team USA at the 2003 Junior U18 World Championship Qualifying Tournament.
His Davidson team is headed back to the NCAA tournament after securing the conference’s automatic bid Monday.
John Beilein and Michigan finished the regular season with a 25-6 overall record, including 12-6 in the Big Ten. The Wolverines now head to the Big Ten tournament and later the NCAA tournament, whether through an automatic or at-large bid. Beilein was involved with Team USA at training camps in 2009.
“I am honored to have been selected to be an assistant coach for USA Basketball this summer at the World University Games,” said Beilein in a statement. “I look forward to working with head coach Bob McKillop and Frank Martin in our quest for a gold medal. It is a great opportunity to grow as a coach while also representing the United States of America.”
Frank Martin is finishing his first season with South Carolina and has been a part of Team USA basketball like Beilein, as an assistant during training camps in 2012.
“This is an unbelievable honor,” said Martin in the release. “It’s the ultimate honor as a coach-slash-athlete to be a part of a team that represents your country. To be around such great coaches and great players and to put on that shirt that says USA is going to be an unbelievable moment for me.”
The United States has a 138-9 overall record in World University Games play and has won 13 gold medals in the 20 tournaments in which it has appeared.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)