Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
It became official today.
The Catholic 7, who announced their intention to leave the Big East next season, will actually be the Big East next season, bringing the name, the brand and the postseason tournament held in Madison Square Garden as they break off from the football-playing schools.
“The seven basketball schools, which include many of the original founding schools of the Big East, have unanimously established the goal of continuing the storied legacy and time-honored traditions of athletic competition so closely associated with the Big East, including being the home of the very best college basketball in the nation,” a statement on behalf of the Catholic 7 said. “Details about the expected broadcast media deal, season-ending tournament and additional members of the new conference will be announced in the near future.”
There are still details to work out, including what programs will be joining Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St. John’s, DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall in the Big East. It is believed that Butler and Xavier, and potentially Creighton, could end up being in this new Big East conference next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 5
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)