Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
It became official today.
The Catholic 7, who announced their intention to leave the Big East next season, will actually be the Big East next season, bringing the name, the brand and the postseason tournament held in Madison Square Garden as they break off from the football-playing schools.
“The seven basketball schools, which include many of the original founding schools of the Big East, have unanimously established the goal of continuing the storied legacy and time-honored traditions of athletic competition so closely associated with the Big East, including being the home of the very best college basketball in the nation,” a statement on behalf of the Catholic 7 said. “Details about the expected broadcast media deal, season-ending tournament and additional members of the new conference will be announced in the near future.”
There are still details to work out, including what programs will be joining Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St. John’s, DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall in the Big East. It is believed that Butler and Xavier, and potentially Creighton, could end up being in this new Big East conference next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)