Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
It became official today.
The Catholic 7, who announced their intention to leave the Big East next season, will actually be the Big East next season, bringing the name, the brand and the postseason tournament held in Madison Square Garden as they break off from the football-playing schools.
“The seven basketball schools, which include many of the original founding schools of the Big East, have unanimously established the goal of continuing the storied legacy and time-honored traditions of athletic competition so closely associated with the Big East, including being the home of the very best college basketball in the nation,” a statement on behalf of the Catholic 7 said. “Details about the expected broadcast media deal, season-ending tournament and additional members of the new conference will be announced in the near future.”
There are still details to work out, including what programs will be joining Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St. John’s, DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall in the Big East. It is believed that Butler and Xavier, and potentially Creighton, could end up being in this new Big East conference next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)