Mar 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
We’re not much into gambling around these parts, but what happened at the end of the MAAC title game between Manhattan and Iona must be written about.
Iona was favored, giving four points to the Jaspers, and they had pulled away late in the second half after Manhattan had been in control for much of the first 20 minutes. When David Laury threw down a dunk in transition with six seconds left, the Gaels opened up a 60-52 lead and everyone — even the gamblers — felt comfortable with the outcome.
Well, Manhattan hit a three with 0.1 seconds left on the clock to cut the lead to 60-55. The Iona fans stormed the court after the shot went in, but since there were 0.1 seconds left, the Gaels were called for a technical foul. Donovan Kates stepped to the line and hit both free throws before Iona inbounded the ball and ran that final tenth of a second off.
Final score: 60-57.
Which means that Manhattan covered the spread.
With a three and a pair of technical free throws with 0.1 seconds left on the block.
Now, that’s a bad beat regardless of the situation, but can you imagine being this guy?:
— WagerMinds (@WagerMinds) March 12, 2013
This is why you don’t gamble on sports, kids.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)