Mar 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
We’re not much into gambling around these parts, but what happened at the end of the MAAC title game between Manhattan and Iona must be written about.
Iona was favored, giving four points to the Jaspers, and they had pulled away late in the second half after Manhattan had been in control for much of the first 20 minutes. When David Laury threw down a dunk in transition with six seconds left, the Gaels opened up a 60-52 lead and everyone — even the gamblers — felt comfortable with the outcome.
Well, Manhattan hit a three with 0.1 seconds left on the clock to cut the lead to 60-55. The Iona fans stormed the court after the shot went in, but since there were 0.1 seconds left, the Gaels were called for a technical foul. Donovan Kates stepped to the line and hit both free throws before Iona inbounded the ball and ran that final tenth of a second off.
Final score: 60-57.
Which means that Manhattan covered the spread.
With a three and a pair of technical free throws with 0.1 seconds left on the block.
Now, that’s a bad beat regardless of the situation, but can you imagine being this guy?:
— WagerMinds (@WagerMinds) March 12, 2013
This is why you don’t gamble on sports, kids.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)