Mar 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
We’re not much into gambling around these parts, but what happened at the end of the MAAC title game between Manhattan and Iona must be written about.
Iona was favored, giving four points to the Jaspers, and they had pulled away late in the second half after Manhattan had been in control for much of the first 20 minutes. When David Laury threw down a dunk in transition with six seconds left, the Gaels opened up a 60-52 lead and everyone — even the gamblers — felt comfortable with the outcome.
Well, Manhattan hit a three with 0.1 seconds left on the clock to cut the lead to 60-55. The Iona fans stormed the court after the shot went in, but since there were 0.1 seconds left, the Gaels were called for a technical foul. Donovan Kates stepped to the line and hit both free throws before Iona inbounded the ball and ran that final tenth of a second off.
Final score: 60-57.
Which means that Manhattan covered the spread.
With a three and a pair of technical free throws with 0.1 seconds left on the block.
Now, that’s a bad beat regardless of the situation, but can you imagine being this guy?:
— WagerMinds (@WagerMinds) March 12, 2013
This is why you don’t gamble on sports, kids.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)