Mar 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After three years as the head coach of the Saints, Mitch Buonaguro has been relieved of his duties, according to a release sent out by the school on Tuesday.
“I’d like to thank Mitch for his dedication and commitment to Siena basketball the last eight years,” director of athletics John D’Argenio said in a statement. “This change isn’t being made for lack of effort. Basketball is important in the strategic direction of Siena. We have high expectations and aspirations for this program.”
Buonaguro was the lead assistant under Fran McCaffery, when the Saints had their most successful stretch in program history. But Buonaguro was just 35-59 in his three seasons, which culminated with a ninth place finish in the MAAC this year.
“I’m very grateful for the opportunity Siena gave me,” Buonaguro said. “It’s a very special place, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my eight years here. The student athletes we have brought through the program are people the Siena community can be very proud of. We had some great success here, and although the last three years did not produce the results any of us hoped for on the court, I leave knowing I gave my all every day. This is a program I care deeply about, and I wish Siena nothing but the best in the future.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)