Mar 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After three years as the head coach of the Saints, Mitch Buonaguro has been relieved of his duties, according to a release sent out by the school on Tuesday.
“I’d like to thank Mitch for his dedication and commitment to Siena basketball the last eight years,” director of athletics John D’Argenio said in a statement. “This change isn’t being made for lack of effort. Basketball is important in the strategic direction of Siena. We have high expectations and aspirations for this program.”
Buonaguro was the lead assistant under Fran McCaffery, when the Saints had their most successful stretch in program history. But Buonaguro was just 35-59 in his three seasons, which culminated with a ninth place finish in the MAAC this year.
“I’m very grateful for the opportunity Siena gave me,” Buonaguro said. “It’s a very special place, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my eight years here. The student athletes we have brought through the program are people the Siena community can be very proud of. We had some great success here, and although the last three years did not produce the results any of us hoped for on the court, I leave knowing I gave my all every day. This is a program I care deeply about, and I wish Siena nothing but the best in the future.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)