Mar 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After three years as the head coach of the Saints, Mitch Buonaguro has been relieved of his duties, according to a release sent out by the school on Tuesday.
“I’d like to thank Mitch for his dedication and commitment to Siena basketball the last eight years,” director of athletics John D’Argenio said in a statement. “This change isn’t being made for lack of effort. Basketball is important in the strategic direction of Siena. We have high expectations and aspirations for this program.”
Buonaguro was the lead assistant under Fran McCaffery, when the Saints had their most successful stretch in program history. But Buonaguro was just 35-59 in his three seasons, which culminated with a ninth place finish in the MAAC this year.
“I’m very grateful for the opportunity Siena gave me,” Buonaguro said. “It’s a very special place, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my eight years here. The student athletes we have brought through the program are people the Siena community can be very proud of. We had some great success here, and although the last three years did not produce the results any of us hoped for on the court, I leave knowing I gave my all every day. This is a program I care deeply about, and I wish Siena nothing but the best in the future.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)