Mar 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After three years as the head coach of the Saints, Mitch Buonaguro has been relieved of his duties, according to a release sent out by the school on Tuesday.
“I’d like to thank Mitch for his dedication and commitment to Siena basketball the last eight years,” director of athletics John D’Argenio said in a statement. “This change isn’t being made for lack of effort. Basketball is important in the strategic direction of Siena. We have high expectations and aspirations for this program.”
Buonaguro was the lead assistant under Fran McCaffery, when the Saints had their most successful stretch in program history. But Buonaguro was just 35-59 in his three seasons, which culminated with a ninth place finish in the MAAC this year.
“I’m very grateful for the opportunity Siena gave me,” Buonaguro said. “It’s a very special place, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my eight years here. The student athletes we have brought through the program are people the Siena community can be very proud of. We had some great success here, and although the last three years did not produce the results any of us hoped for on the court, I leave knowing I gave my all every day. This is a program I care deeply about, and I wish Siena nothing but the best in the future.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Texas hangs on to beat No. 14 North Carolina in Chapel Hill 3
- The Chase for 180: Nic Moore’s hot start 0
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 6
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Casey Prather’s star turn a boon for Florida 1
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (8)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (6)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)