Mar 12, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Coach: Mark Few
Record: 31-2, 16-0
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 4
– RPI: 11
– AP/USA Today: 1/1
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had the Zags as a No. 1 seed in Monday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Kelly Olynyk (17.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg), Elias Harris (14.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg), Kevin Pangos (11.8 ppg, 3.2 apg)
Stats you need to know: Everyone is going to talk about Gonzaga’s front line, but it’s important to note that the back court of Gary Bell and Kevin Pangos combines for 21.0 ppg and 40.8% three-point shooting.
Tendencies: Gonzaga has a very good front line and Mark Few sure does know how to play through them. What makes those big guys dangerous is their versatility. Olynyk and Harris can handle the ball, they can step out and hit a jumper, they can pass the ball.
Big wins, bad losses: They lost to Illinois when Brandon Paul went crazy and Butler in Hinkle when Roosevelt Jones scored the flukiest bucket of the season.
How’d they get here?: The Zags won the WCC’s automatic bid, but the only thing that did was put them into a better position to get a No. 1 seed. Kansas State and Oklahoma State are their two best wins.
Outlook: Gonzaga is a national title contender. There’s simply no way that anyone can make an argument against that. They have the best front line in the country, one of the nation’s most under-appreciated back court and plenty of size and athleticism on the wings. The shoot it well, they score in the post, they can beat a zone and execute against a man-to-man, they defend, they rebound. They’re legit.
How do I know you?: Everyone knows Gonzaga. But if you don’t know their star, Olynyk, you may recognize him as Mitch from the movie Dazed and Confused.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)