Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Summit League
Coach: Scott Nagy
Record: 25-9, 13-3
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 106
– RPI: 77
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had the Jackrabbits as a No. 14 seed in Monday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Nate Wolters (22.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.8 apg), Jordan Dykstra (12.3 ppg, 7.9 rpg)
Stats you need to know: SDSU shoots the ball very well from three, they don’t turn it over all that much and, while they are not a great defensive team, they keep opponents off the foul line and clean up the defensive glass.
Tendencies: It’s the Nate Wolters show. By now you should know who the kid is. A 6-foot-5 Minnesota native, Wolters got one scholarship offer coming out of high school and has made the most of it, becoming a favorite for statheads thanks to his uber-efficient, high-usage style of play. Scott Nagy spreads the floor with shooters and allows Wolters to create off the bounce.
Big wins, bad losses: The Jackrabbits have a couple of ugly losses — Hofstra, South Dakota, Cal. St. Bakersfield — but they also beat New Mexico at New Mexico.
How’d they get here?: South Dakota State no only won the Summit League title, after dropping two of their first three games in league play, they won the automatic bid by knocking off North Dakota State, 73-67, in the title game.
Outlook: You know what you are going to get with the Jackrabbits. The ball is going to be in the hands of Nate Wolters, and he’s going to be creating off the dribble. When his teammates are hitting the open shots he can create for them, this group is tough, and they can beat anyone; winning in The Pit is not an easy thing to do, and SDSU did that.
How do I know you?: Naters Gonna Nate.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)