Mar 13, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
Virginia Commonwealth reserve center D.J. Haley is leaving the school’s basketball program to focus on academics, head coach Shaka Smart announced in a release Wednesday.
“We appreciate DJ’s contributions to our program over the past three years,” Smart said in a statement. “Unfortunately, he has decided that his heart is no longer invested in basketball. Clearly it takes a significant commitment to compete as a student-athlete at this level and we understand that DJ’s priorities have changed. We wish DJ nothing but the best for his future.”
Haley was averaging 1.9 points and 1.9 rebounds in eight minutes per game this season. He was more a part of the regular rotation during the Rams’ non-conference schedule, but had his best game of the season Jan. 19 against Duquesne when he had six points, five rebounds, and three blocks in a victory.
He appeared in 102 games over the course of his nearly three full seasons with VCU and started 48 of those games. Moving on without him, the Rams will face of the winner of Xavier and St. Joe’s on Friday in the Atlantic 10 tournament quarterfinals.
The opening round of the A-10 tournament will be televised on the NBC Sports Network Thursday, beginning at 12 p.m. ET with Richmond against Charlotte. That will be followed by Butler-Dayton at 2:30 p.m. ET, Xavier-St. Joe’s at 6:30 p.m. ET, and UMass-George Washington at 9 p.m. ET.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)