Mar 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday was a rather light night of college hoops. But starting today business is going to pick up. The high-major conferences begin their postseason tournaments, and all the chaos and entertainment we saw during the regular season is likely to replicate itself during the next five days.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
A great-read on what parents and family mean to Temple’s Carl Jones. Read it. (Philahoops.com)
VIDEO: ‘The Crossover’ tells you what to expect in the NCAA tournament: Some good debate here from our pals over at ‘The Crossover”. NCAA tournament talk and NBA draft discussion are whats on the docket.
JT III is great, but Buzz Williams should be Big East Coach of the Year: JT III has done a great job at Georgetown, but people are overlooking what Buzz did with Marquette this season.
Bob McKillop, John Beilein, Frank Martin tabbed to coach Team USA in University Games: Davidson’s Bob McKillop has been chosen to serve as the head coach of Team USA in the 2013 World University Games Team, which will take place July 7-16 in Kazan, Russia. McKillop’s Davidson squad punched their ticket to the Big Dance on Monday night in the SoCon championship game.
NCAA Tournament Cheat Sheets:
- Valparaiso returns to the NCAA tournament led by head coach Bryce Drew, who etched his name into tournament lore with his buzzer-beating shot agains Ole Miss in 1998.
- South Dakota State and sharpshooting superstar Nate Wolters return to the Big Dance for the second time in a row.
- LIU-Brooklyn is the first NEC team to win back-to-back-to-back tournament titles and will be dancing for the third straight year.
Observations & Insight:
- A breakdown of Vegas odds for the Pac-12 tournament, which is being held in, where else, but Vegas of course. (Coug Center)
- LIU-Brooklyn’s victory over Mt. St. Mary’s in the NEC title game last night gave the Blackbirds the first ever NEC championship three-pear. (Catch and Shoot)
- Louisville’s Russ Smith missed out on winning the Big East player of the year, and probably won’t be named National Player of the Year. But he’s still in the hunt for KenPom Player of the Year. (Card Chronicle)
- MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas has been satisfied with ticket sales at the early round MEAC tournament games despite the appearance of an empty arena. (HamptonRoads.com)
- The Big-XII tournament is going to be full of possibilities and opportunities. It should make for a very entertaining conclusion. (Ames Tribune)
- Have you ever wondered what types of free swag college basketball players got for participating in postseason tournaments? The total value of NCAA tournament gifts this year is $320,000. (Sports Business Daily)
- Highly touted Seton Hall commit Aquille “Crimestopper” Carr has decided to forgo college and will instead play in Europe for a season. This isn’t actually all that shocking. (Sporting News)
- Colorado forward Andre Roberson will return from his bout with mono in time for the Pac-12 Tournament. (Sporting News)
Video(s) of the Day:
Championship edition of the Harlem Shake. Why not.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy