Mar 14, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
In the immediate aftermath of Drake’s 2008 Missouri Valley Conference title and trip to the NCAA tournament, there was hope in Des Moines that head coach Mark Phelps would be able to sustain the momentum generated by Keno Davis (who at the time filled the vacancy at Providence).
Unfortunately for the Bulldogs that didn’t happen, and after five seasons at the school Phelps was relieved of his duties as announced by the school.
Phelps leaves Drake with an overall record of 77-86, which includes a 37-53 record in MVC play. Drake’s best MVC finish under Phelps came in 2011-12, when they finished five-way tie for third place.
In the other four season Drake finished in either 7th or 8th place, with their 7-11 record in 2012-13 (15-17 overall) landing the Bulldogs in a three-way tie for seventh.
“A decision like this is never easy,” Drake athletics director Sandy Hatfield Clubb said in a statement released by the school. “However, we believe a change in leadership is necessary to create a sustained level of competitive excellence.
“Drake Basketball is important to our students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters, and we will continue to invest significantly in the program and have high standards for its success.”
Whomever Drake hires will have some work to do, as three of the Bulldogs’ top four scorers from this season graduate led by 6-8 forward Ben Simons.
According to scout.com Drake holds a verbal commitment from 6-8 power forward Joe Boyd (Scottsdale, Ariz.), the Bulldogs were also heavily involved in Las Vegas, Nev. wing Rashad Muhammad (younger brother of UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad). With the coaching change it may be difficult to reel in the Bishop Gorman product.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)